Here We Go Again

Written August 18th, 2009 by Eric

ESPN has reported today that USC’s top offensive lineman, Kristofer O’Dowd, has dislocated his right kneecap during a scrimmage at the Coliseum.

The injury is almost identical to an injury O’Dowd suffered his freshman year, and if the conditions turn out to be the same O’Dowd will be guaranteed to miss the OSU matchup on the 12th.  This is the second straight year that a key component to USC’s offense has dislocated a kneecap before the season, with former USC quarterback Mark Sanchez dislocating his left kneecap before the start of the 2008 season.

Just like any good sports fan I absolutely hate to see things like this happen.  No sane person really enjoys to see another human being injure themselves and miss out on enjoying the game they love.  However, I hate it even more when it happens to a team that OSU is supposed to play.  When you play the best, you like to play them when they’re at their best.  USC missing a key piece to their spectacular offensive line, especially their Center and leader of their line, is a huge loss.  I imagine USC will be more than capable of putting in an acceptable replacement given 3 weeks and a ball game against San Jose State on September 3rd, but the quantity of experience and the leadership qualities he brings to the table will be missed.

What really gets me, though, is that I really hate to give the other team an easy excuse in case the Bucks actually do manage to beat them.

“You’d have never beaten us if xyz hadn’t happened!”

Yea…sure…great.  Prove it on the field next time.

————

The preceding was a piece by one of our “occasional guest bloggers”.  Please welcome Eric to The BBC family;

1. JimNo Gravatar
    August 18th, 2009 at 3:25 pm

An interesting note about O’Dowd is that he seriously considered coming to Ohio State out of high school in Arizona before settling on USC as his school of choice.

August 18th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Eric,
    First, welcome to BBCland. Good article; I agree it’s always a shame to see any of these young men injured. Your other point is also valid, I want to beat you when you are at your best.

3. MaliBuckeyeNo Gravatar
    August 18th, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Eric-

Welcome to the family, great article.

Just so you know, unlike Ken I have no inclinations of wanting to beat you. You’re among friends here.

4. Jeff at The BBCNo Gravatar
    August 18th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I agree with the above compliments, Eric. The site is growing because of all of you, and I’m very grateful.

5. BucksfanNo Gravatar
    August 18th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Eric, do not worry about USC acting like that if we happen to beat them. The Center is certainly important, but everyone knows that the blind-side tackle is the most important spot on the line. They’re replacing the junior O’Dowd with a senior backup. They still have their receivers, their RB corp, and the other 4 starting linemen from last season. Justin Boren might not be at 100% by the kickoff of that game, so I’m considering it tit-for-tat.

It’s not the same as losing Beanie Wells.

6. EricNo Gravatar
    August 18th, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It’s great to be here! =)

Jim: I had forgotten about that. It’s too bad we missed out on him, too, since we only picked up Evan Blankenship for offensive line that year. Nothing against Evan, of course, but it would have been nice to have a bit more depth.

Mali: lol, I appreciate it.

7. EricNo Gravatar
    August 18th, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Bucksfan: I agree that the Center isn’t the most critical player on the field, and I generally have a fairly high opinion of USC fans, but that doesn’t stop the truly incompetent from whining. I seem to recall one play in particular from the 2003 national championship that continues to draw lots of ire despite having been proven (and being obviously) a valid call… ;)

And they’re replacing him with a Senior backup? I knew USC was deep everywhere, but that’s just disgusting…

8. BucksfanNo Gravatar
    August 18th, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Yeah, I think you’ll hear more garbage from USC fans, as well as the media, that the injury to Corp, plus the inexperience at QB will play more of a factor in a loss than any injury to O’Dowd…IF they lose. If they win, of course, it’s more of Pete Carroll’s brilliance as a coach. But get ready for people to downplay a Buckeye victory.

Yeah, depth is an understatement. But maybe it won’t matter. I read that Joe McKnight still hasn’t shaken off his tendency from last season to fumble the football…losing one during that same scrimmage. Barkeley is showing some green behind the ears as well.

We’ll find out what everyone’s made of in 25 days. As long as they play with ferocity like they did against Texas, I’m not going to complain. Practically everyone on offense is a sophomore. It’s a lot to ask a group of no-namers to take on the best assembled talent in the nation. So, hopefully Pryor can play with ice-water in his veins, because it will take a big performance.

9. steveNo Gravatar
    August 19th, 2009 at 7:59 am

dude, 1st of all i wouldn’t be worried about them making excuses b/c chances are they will come in and stomp OSU with or without their center. They are a better team with beter depth. are they choke artists like osu year in and year out, yea you can argue that…but they slip up mid season then make a joke of whoever they play in the bowl. this one won’t be close… 38-12

10. steveNo Gravatar
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:01 am

really didn’t mean that to come off so harshly, i’m not a fan of either… i cam across this while reading about Moeller which is a sad situation and i wish him the best.

11. TommyTrojanNo Gravatar
    August 19th, 2009 at 8:30 am

“….and if the conditions turn out to be the same O’Dowd will be guaranteed to miss the OSU matchup on the 12th.”

Actually recent X-rays/MRIs reveal that there’s no ligament or bone damage to O’Dowd’s knee so he just might be healthy in time for the match up in Columbus on Sept. 12. If you remember correctly, Mark Sanchez had a very similar injury 3 weeks before our 2008 season opener against Virginia and did manage to play, so all indications point to a fairly speedy recover. However, I’ll say that as a center I’m sure there’s a lot more pressure put on his knee just from the position and the constant contact, but O’Dowd should be good to go if his 2-3 week timeline is indeed correct. Either way Buckeyes fans better be ready a quickly reloaded d-line and one of the best secondaries, o-lines, and rb corps in the country is going to give you guys all they can handle regardless of who’s at center or QB.