We are unveiling a new feature at the BBC today.

In order to help us get through the long summer months, we will be starting a countdown of the top 25 Buckeyes of the decade (2000-2009).

The staff submitted their ballots and the votes have been tallied. We will unveil a new Buckeye in the countdown once a week and as the season approaches the frequency may increase (I haven’t done the exact math to figure out how this is going to work out).

We will only be covering football players for this countdown, even though Ohio State has had some fine basketball players over the last decade as well, sorry Evan Turner.

One thing to note is that we didn’t really define what it means to be in the “Top 25 Buckeyes of the Decade.”

Do you measure on the field accomplishments? wins and losses? statistics? post season accolades? who you’d want most on this year’s team?

In the end, it is a mix of all of the above and then some, which means that different people will have different opinions about this list. We tried to eliminate some of the individual biases by polling all five writers here at the BBC, and I have to say I am happy with the results. However, by no means is this list definitive, so feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

And with that, here are the guys that didn’t quite make the cut for the top 25, but did receive votes, making them worthy of an honorable mention.

Kenny Peterson was a key member of the 2002 squad.

DL Kenny Peterson (2002)

Peterson is best known for being a member of the dominating defensive front that helped lead the Buckeyes to a National Championship in 2002.

Since football is a team sport, and the rest of that defensive line in 2002 kicked some serious ass as well, I will also take this time to mention Tim Anderson, Darrion Scott, and the rest of that defensive line rotation, this honorable mention is for all of you.

Peterson was selected in the 3rd round of the 2003 NFL draft by the Green Bay Packers.

P B.J. Sander (2003)

Sander was a First-Team All-American and All-Big Ten honoree in 2003. He had a remarkable season that year, setting Ohio State records for punt attempts (82) and yards (3,553) in a season.

For his efforts, he received the Ray Guy award, given out to the best collegiate punter in the country each year.

Sander also holds the third highest career punting average in Ohio State history at 42.2 yards per punt.

He was selected in the 3rd round of the 2004 NFL draft by the Green Bay Packers.

Speaking of punters, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Andy Groom here.

Groom was the punter on the 2002 National Championship squad who also earned 1st Team All-Big Ten and All-American honors. Groom is first amongst Ohio State punters with a career average punt of 45 yards.

Not too shabby.

Sander and Groom were the driving force behind Tressel-ball in the early years, and both are deserving of this honorable mention.

Unsurprisingly, I was unable to find a good picture of either player.

LB Marcus Freeman (2006-2008)

Overshadowed by his peers, but not forgotten here at the BBC.

Freeman was a three year starter at linebacker for the Buckeyes and appeared in a total of 51 games with 37 starts during his career.

He battled injury issues for most of his time as a Buckeye, even sitting out an entire season in 2005. Despite this, he was extremely talented and ranks 19th all time at Ohio State with 268 career tackles.

Freeman was overshadowed a bit by other linebackers on the roster, but he did earn Second-Team All-Big Ten honors twice and is well deserving of this honorable mention.

He was selected in the 5th round of the 2009 NFL draft by the Chicago Bears, but his NFL career has been cut short due to a heart condition.

Robiskie led Ohio State in receptions and recieving yards two straight seasons.

WR Brian Robiskie (2007-2008)

Robiskie was a two year starter for the Bucks who led the team in receiving yards and receptions both years. His 935 receiving yards (52 receptions) in 2007 is the 11th most for a receiver in a season in Ohio State history.

Robiskie is 8th in the record books with 127 career receptions and 10th in career receiving yards (1,866).

Also notable for Robiskie was his game winning TD reception in the epic #1 versus #2 Ohio State-Michigan game in 2006.

He was taken in the second round of the 2009 NFL draft by the Cleveland Browns.

DT Ryan Pickett (1998-2000)

Pickett just barely makes this list by playing on the 2000 team, which is partly why he is only honorable mention.

He was a three year starter for the Buckeyes, and has had a productive NFL career with the St. Louis Rams from 2001-2005 and with the Green Bay Packers from 2005-present.

He was selected in the first round in the 2001 NFL draft by the Rams.

S Will Allen (2003)

Will Allen returns an INT 100 yards for a TD against San Diego State in 2003. This was the first game I ever attended.

Allen only started one year for the Buckeyes in 2003, but he was a major part of the 2002 National Championship secondary.

He had game preserving interceptions against Cincinnati and Michigan in 2002. You may also remember Allen as the guy that destroyed Willis McGahee’s knee in the championship game.

I won’t post a picture of it, but yeah, that was him.

Allen was a First-Team All-American and All-Big Ten selection in 2003, and was drafted in the 4th round of the 2004 NFL draft by the Tampa Bay Bucaneers.

Allen is still active in the NFL, and is currently a member of the Pittsburgh Stealers.

He will be missed next year.

S Kurt Coleman (2007-2009)

Coleman was a three year starter at safety for the Bucks.

He earned First-Team All-American and All-Big Ten honors as a senior in 2009 after recording 68 tackles, 5 interception, and 3 forced fumbles. He returned those 5 interception a total of 129 yards (including 1 TD) which is good for the 3rd most INT return yards in a season by a Buckeye.

Coleman was selected in the 7th round of the 2010 NFL draft by the Philadelphia Eagles.

TE Ben Hartsock (2002-2003)

Hartsock is still playing in the NFL with the Jets.

Hartsock was a two year starter at TE and another key component of the 2002 National Championship squad. He started in a total of 31 games during his career.

He is 7th all time in career receiving yards for a TE at Ohio State with 513. He was also a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree and a Fist-Team All-Big Ten TE in 2003.

Hartsock was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2004 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts and is currently a member of the New York Jets.

What a DT should look like.

DT Quinn Pitcock (2004-2006)

Pitcock was a three year starter for the Buckeyes and earned First-Team All-American and All-Big Ten honors in 2006.

He had 8 sacks in 2006, including 3 in one game against Cincinnati, which is tied for the 15th best season and the 5th best gameĀ  in Ohio State history.

Pitcock was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2007 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts.

LB Cie Grant (2002)

Grant was only a starter for one year, and he didn’t exactly light up the record books, but he is here for two reasons.

This:

Good times.

And this:

That wraps it up for the honorable mentions. Stay tuned for the unveiling of #25 next week.

1. Palm Beach BuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 11:51 am

Love the pic of Cie Grant showing Ken Dorsey the turf!!

2. MaliBuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 12:16 pm

For the record, I voted for Harley.

3. Jeff at The BBCNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Harley wins the top spot when we publish our “Best-looking Player/Sportswriter” countdown.

Rob HarleyNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I’m blushing now!! you guys treat me too good!

4. southbaybuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

No Lydell “see you on Sundays” Ross????

Maybe he’s on the real list….

Ian_InsideTheShoeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Pffffhahahahaha. Oh, your serious? You need help :P

southbaybuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

his ability to lose yards has not been matched nor has it been surpassed in buckeye history.

Ian_InsideTheShoeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Well, can’t disagree there. He probably deserved the Namsieh more than anyone else.

5. BrianNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I dont’ know if he’ll be top 25 or not as linebacker will surely be a full spot, but I liked Schlegel. That guy was a beast and if he doesn’t make the top 25, which I’m not sure he can he’s got to be honorable mention doesn’t he?

Also, I know it’s a preview, but doesn’t Mo C have to get at least an honorable mention? I mean yes, it was one year and he was trouble, but his one season he looked better than any RB has since Eddie.

May 5th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Patience, grasshopper…

southbaybuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Schlegel was in my stats class, he was a major idiot.

May 5th, 2010 at 5:23 pm

he was a good player but he suffers from being in the shadow of not one but two other great linebackers in Hawk and Carpenter, but you are right, he probably deserves an honorable mention

the problem is, we didn’t vote for honorable mention, we voted for top 25 and the honorable mentions were players that got votes but didn’t make the cut

just a technicality of the system I suppose

May 5th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

and to argue with myself, Robert Reynolds was a pretty damn good linebacker too who might deserve an honorable mention

you have to draw a line somewhere though, and Schlegel never really did anything to make himself stand out, especially since he was on a team with two other linebackers that did stand out

southbaybuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 6:18 pm

arguing with yourself will get you a nice long stay in a padded room in most places. not california though…..

danNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2010 at 12:21 pm

If they put together list of the 25 best Football player robert reynolds would be on it. as a true freshmen he came in and won the starting long snapping job and started on all the other special team and backed up Cortland Bullard for two year before becoming a starting his last two years he was drafted in the 5th round and played 4 years for the titans before his career was ended short because a injury.

July 1st, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Long snappers rule. Best way to a college scholarship and lucrative NFL career…

May 5th, 2010 at 6:35 pm

“Schlegel was in my stats class, he was a major idiot.”

Huh. What are the odds of that?

southbaybuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 6:40 pm

not sure….. time to draw a bell curve and find out….

Ian_InsideTheShoeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I disagree. Beanie Wells is my favorite running-back to go to Ohio State so far.

Ian_InsideTheShoeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Supposed to be @Brian..for some reason didn’t go.

southbaybuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 6:17 pm

i think he meant the best since eddie up to that point(2002/3). Mo C had better top end speed, but no SAoJ.

6. chuckr65No Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I can’t believe Peterson is only honorable mention. He was a beast in the 2002 MNC game, to the point where I’ll bet Ken Dorsey won’t go near anything with a #97 on it to this day. He should be one of the top 25 for that performance alone. I know it’s a little early, but for me, Krenzel should be #1. When the ’02 team needed a play, Krenzel was the man. The TD scramble to beat Cincy, key scrambles against Wisky, the winning drive late against ttun, the 4th and 14 against Miami and of course the Holy Buckeye. I know a lot of guys made big plays for that team, but when it mattered most, Krenzel was easily the MVP of the 2002 team. No player since Kern can say they quarterbacked a National Championship team. People can talk stats all they want, give me Championships!

7. southbaybuckeyeNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 6:20 pm

And what about Mike D’Andrea?!?!?

May 5th, 2010 at 6:36 pm

And Rob HARLEY! Dammit… I want a re-count.

Rob HarleyNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Mali I love your enthusiasm!

jeff at the bbcNo Gravatar
    May 5th, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Ok, here’s the recount….

One.

That is all. Sorry, Rob.

May 5th, 2010 at 10:35 pm

At least it wasn’t a shut-out

Rob HarleyNo Gravatar
    May 6th, 2010 at 10:32 am

That’s fair Jeff, I appreciate the support :(

May 6th, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Dude- it’s OK to vote for yourself…

8. BrianNo Gravatar
    May 6th, 2010 at 11:04 am

Don’t take it as me bashing Beanie. Beanie was an incredible player. I just think Maurice Clarett would’ve had a better career from start to finish if he played the same amount of games as Beanie. I loved Beanie and have said for 3 years now that he has the nastiest stiff arm in all of football no matter what level. I just think Clarett was a notch higher. He could’ve made an immediate impact in the NFL like Peterson, in my opinion.

jeff at the bbcNo Gravatar
    May 6th, 2010 at 11:56 am

True, Brian….but we had three years of games to appreciate Beanie, whereas we only had 10 games of Mo C. So for this countdown at least, Beanie’s gotta end up higher.

May 6th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

on the field accomplishments are more important when it comes to ranking the top players of the decade, and for me at least, being in the record books is a major component of being on the list as well, meaning that Beanie’s 2007 season goes a long way

the debate about who is the better running back is a completing separate issue as far as I’m concerned, but there is no debate about who belongs higher on the list

9. BrianNo Gravatar
    May 6th, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I wasn’t saying that Maurice should be rated higher, I was just thinking he should have gotten votes and been at least honorable mention if he wasn’t on the top 25, and I couldn’t imagine that through 10 games he would be with the likes of Pittman and Beanie at RB and the slew of defensive and other stars that had full careers. I think it’s fair to say that his first 10 games were probably the most impressive first 10 games of almost any player’s career all time at OSU, not just the last decade.

10. coreyNo Gravatar
    May 6th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Well since you’re asking, How about Mike Doss…331 tackles, 8 interceptions, 6 sacks, and 8 fumbles recovered. I can’t believe He wasn’t mentioned in the top 25

May 6th, 2010 at 5:00 pm

This is the honorable mention, the top 25 hasn’t been ‘released’ yet.

We will announce #25 next week and the final list won’t be fully released until the end of the summer.

May 6th, 2010 at 6:11 pm

And who doesn’t love a good release?

At least that’s what I tell my “massage therapist”…

May 6th, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Oh, for Pete’s sake. I don’t know if I can stand to hear this.. but still.