Happy Greg Rogan Day

Written August 4th, 2010 by MaliBuckeye

With 29 days to go, there are a lot of options for people to honor in our countdown. We’re going to see great things from Jordan Hall, and of course Pepe Pearson holds a warm spot in our hearts. But I’ve got to give a shout-out to the pride of Urbana Ohio, especially since we were in school together (for clarity, I was a lowly freshman when he took the Hillclimbers to the State Championship game, but still).

Starting as a freshman, Greg’s career was exciting to follow, and was one of the reasons I became a Buckeye fan. In particular, three games stand out to me- First, Greg’s two interceptions in the last minutes of the game allowed Ohio State to maintain a 13-13 tie against LSU; his second setting up a game winning field goal attempt that just missed. The following year, Ohio State would win in a come from behind victory against the Tigers (although, according to ESPN and friends, the Buckeyes have never beaten an SEC team).

But #29 played his best against Iowa- first picking off Heisman Trophy candidate Chuck Long in the rainy 1985 upset of the #1 Hawkeyes at Ohio Stadium- of course Vico has the footage:

The following year, Greg returned a fumble 31 yards for a TD in Iowa City- yup, Ohio State was winning there as far back as can be remembered.

Finally, as a nod to our new Nebraskan mates (keeping the peace at home, that’s me), here’s Rogan picking Colorado and setting up the final score of the game by a guy who only catches touchdowns.

After college, Greg given a shot to play with the Cleveland Browns, although that was cut short due to injury issues (if I remember correctly).

Nevertheless, we celebrate his Buckeye career and get that much closer to kickoff- all good reasons to be excited for #29.

1. Buckeye PeteNo Gravatar
    August 4th, 2010 at 9:41 am

I graduated with his brother Jeff (best running back I’ve ever seen, just didn’t have the grades to get an offer from OSU) Greg was a great DB at OSU and got a bad break when he broke his foot very early in his senior season. Had that not happened I think he would have been drafted for sure. I’ve heard William White and Chris Speilman say he was the best athlete on that defense. Great football player for the Buckeye’s that gets overlooked way too often. I may be slightly biased since I went to school and played with him, but he and his brothers lit up central Ohio HS football for years! Go Hillclimbers!

August 4th, 2010 at 11:07 am

I think Jeff went to Coffeyville JC in Kansas (same place Duron Carter is headed) after hs.

I remember watching Jeff play when I was in Jr. High, and got to play with Patrick in HS. Now that was an athlete who should have made an impact with his talent… I never heard what happened after he left OSU…

Buckeye PeteNo Gravatar
    August 4th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Patrick got a full ride to Kansas/Kansas St. He probably had as much talent as both his older brothers combined, but he was a complete knucklehead. At the time he graduated HS, Jeff was second on the all-time national list for rushing TD’s behind only some guy from Sugarland TX and ahead of… wait for it… Hershel Walker.

August 4th, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I remember that- Patrick was a state 100 meter dash champ at 6′ 2″ and 230 pounds. Dude was a beast… I’m glad he got the chance to show his stuff.
    Jeff was amazing to watch as well, and a really nice guy. He came to our church a couple of times, and was super approachable and friendly.

Didn’t they have a sister that also played TB at Urbana? Our family had moved by then…

Buckeye PeteNo Gravatar
    August 5th, 2010 at 10:29 am

Sally could have played tailback but no, she kicked butt on the hardwood and track. Terry Rogan was a younger sibling that was very good as well.

2. southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 4th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

He’s other brother, Joe Rogan, is insane.

3. Stacy NorrisNo Gravatar
    August 11th, 2011 at 12:27 am

Graduated with Greg in ’84. Enjoyed watching him play at Urbana then Ohio State. Glad they still remember him at Ohio State.

BTW, Paul May was across the goal line by a large margin in that High School Championship game. We got robbed.

August 11th, 2011 at 12:58 am

UHS class of ’87… ‘Climbers, represent!!

And you’re absolutely right about May…

4. MichaelNo Gravatar
    November 11th, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I knew Greg very well at OSU. He was a great player, one of the best ever. I grew up in NY and was not familiar with Buckeye football, but will say Greg had more natural tallent than any other player. I hope he is doing well.