Message to Black Shoe Diaries

Written August 3rd, 2010 by Dave

The Lil’ Old Nittanies have their panties in a wad again today….

At what point is Terrelle Pryor going to live up to his hype and actually, like, win something on the field? And no, beating Oregon in the Rose Bowl does not count.

They’ve decided over there that they’re not getting the attention that they deserve, so they’ve reverted back to their infantile default-mode of picking on Terrelle Pryor.

The win over Oregon, which was ranked #7 at the time, no longer counts.  Putting up 336 yards against them on the biggest stage Pryor has ever known, isn’t good enough apparently.

Maybe this “counts”????

My guess is that no, it doesn’t count.  The boys over at Black Shoe Diaries need to have their adult diapers changed.  Much like their head coach.

1. southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, the shutout in Herpe Valley doesn’t count.

2. BradyNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Sounds like sour grapes to me. It is not Pryors fault that Happy Valley is “too country”. Maybe they should worry about signing some actual bodies for the 2011 season instead of bitching about their more successful neighbors to the west.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 1:02 pm

you hate what you ain’t

3. MatthewNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Love it. This was my reaction exactly.

I mean, let’s think about this: PSU fans (or at least the Black Shoe Diaries guys) want Pryor to “win… on the field”, but tiny, insignificant things like, you know, winning on the field against solid teams, don’t seem to count. The question becomes how are they defining “win”? I’m guessing it doesn’t involve a dictionary.

A more honest formulation of their question might have been, “At what point is Terrelle Pryor going to go away?” The answer? Not until he shreds the PSU defense at least one more time. But I’m guessing that won’t count, either.

Jeff at The BBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 1:23 pm

The fact is, he HAS won on the field. The Lil’ Ol’ Lions just want to keep moving the goalposts.

He throws four TD passes in his starting debut? Not good enough.
    He won a Big Ten Championship? Not good enough.
    He won at Top-10 Penn State, scoring 3 TDs? Not good enough.
    He beats Top-10 Iowa? Not good enough.
    He wins a second Big Ten title? Not good enough.
    He beats #7 Oregon? Not good enough.
    He wins Rose Bowl MVP? Not good enough.

It willnever be good enough for them. The pathetic haters will always find a way to change the goal line, but Pryor will always find it again and again.

Also, their coach shits his pants.

4. PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Come on, Buckeye fans. You can’t have it both ways.

Amongst yourselves, you’re still waiting for Pryor to break out. You know that the offense was tailored to minimize his impact in big games. That’s why he threw for less than a hundred yards more times than he passed for more than 200. We both know that he’s got the potential to be a better quarterback than he has been. But as soon as anyone calls him out, you get protective and defensive. Against us, sure, he won, but he completed less than half of his passes. We both know Pryor wasn’t the reason you beat us, that it was your defense.

The Rose Bowl performance was great. Except, you know, that it was against an absolutely heinous Oregon defense. Not to take anything away from Pryor, because as a an impartial observer I was very impressed. He looked far more confident in the pocket than I’d ever seen, and was locked in all night. But Pryor hasn’t been that quarterback in any other big game.

I have nothing against Pryor. 12 games a year, I’ll wish him and you all the best. But you can’t make him out to be a superstar when there’s still plenty left to accomplish to get to that point.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:16 pm

we’re waiting for him to be a consistent passer basically, not to win games because he’s already done that as evidenced by the above highlight reel.

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Fair enough. And that was poorly worded by BSD, but the sentiment remains.

Jeff at The BBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:24 pm

My only goal is victory.

I don’t care if Pryor throws 50% for 90 yards against Penn State, as long as he scores three touchdowns and beats you.

If he throws for 400 yards and rushes for another 100, but loses to Michigan, he still fails.

Therefore, his 18-3 record as a starter trumps all.

But BSD (which is much more BS and a lot less D) has a mouth full of sour grapes and would refuse to admit glory if it smacked them in the powder-white Sad Panda face.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:26 pm

PSUfan, did PSU fans hate Pitt 365 a year when they were still independent like the hate OSU now for some reason? I mean, Pitt and PSU were legit rivals….

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I think Penn State fans are desperate to have a real rival. Now that we’re not playing Pitt anymore, the focus has shifted further west. Amongst the old guard, there’s still plenty of animosity with the in-state rivals, but members of my generation, who were 10 years old the last time those teams played, couldn’t care less. And as we’ve reinvented ourselves to become the most consistent contender to Ohio State in the Big Ten over the past 5 years, you’ve become the obvious replacement. It’s different than the Pitt rivalry, though, because we dominated that rivalry. JoePa was something like 23-7 against Pitt, while you have been, more often than not, the better team. It’s a different kind of rivalry, actually being the “little brother” rather than the dominant one, and that’s led to sour grapes. I think there’s probably more vehement hatred towards Michigan, because of how and when they’ve beaten us, but in short, there’s probably more animosity towards Ohio State from our side than yours.

August 3rd, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Which is why I think that conference expansion looks east… Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse each come in as that rival for PSU.

Heck, Notre Ame could be that if they got off their high horse and played in a conference.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:37 pm

yeah, (almost) all OSU fans feel the same way that I do in that I don’t like penn state, but i don’t hate them aside from one week a year. all the “hey look at us” type of stuff that’s spewed out by BSD is almost laughable.

I’ll elaborate more on this over at ITS when the PSU game comes in a few months and next week when I do my 2010 PSU preview.

Jeff at The BBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:26 pm

We want more from him….but that wasn’t “calling him out”, as much as it was a flat denial that he has won ball games.

Saying that the Rose Bowl game doesn’t count was basically admitting that they KNEW he’d performed well, but just wanted to deny that it ever happened.

August 3rd, 2010 at 2:36 pm

We’re not waiting for him to break out, we are waiting for him to be more consistent. He was, you know, just a sophomore last year.

Of all people, Penn State fans should be aware of the issues that come along with young QBs, after all, it is the reason they are only good once or twice every five years.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Morelli for Heisman.

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Now I’m a sad panda.

August 3rd, 2010 at 2:56 pm

join the club

Sad Panda

Eric@theBBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Those pictures will never get old.

But, of course, I prefer the ones from Michigan

BrianNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I couldn’t disagree with you more about Pryor not being a reason Ohio State won in Happy Valley last year. While his passing yards may not have been huge that game he certainly made some big plays. The long pass to Posey, his TD run. Then he had a short TD pass later. The rushing TD was a great play, that not many guys could make, then the short TD pass was setup by that run earlier. If not for the fact that Pryor was on the field, those 2 TD’s wouldn’t have been scored. Like it or not, he is a QB.

I do agree that the offense has been pretty conservative and has openned up slowly as Pryor has developed, but to say he had one good game and it was because Oregon’s D was terrible is just not true.

5. JimNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 3:04 pm

In response to SBB saying that most Ohio State fans don’t hate Penn State, I would like to add that I don’t hate them, but I find them to be extremely obnoxious.

I don’t know if it because they were independent for so long and are not used to having peers, but the way they constantly compare themselves to Ohio State and cry because they are not treated in the same way is highly obnoxious to me.

For example, “Ohio State lost nine starters in 2006 and they were still ranked #1, why aren’t we getting more respect!? we only lost six starters” is paraphrasing a post from BSD last year.

It just seems like they are desperately seeking to be considered elite when they just aren’t. Like I mentioned, they only have an elite season once or twice every five years. They just put together back to back ten win seasons for the first time since ’85-’86. They have won just as many Big Ten Championships as Northwestern since joining the conference. That is why you aren’t treated the same as Ohio State.

Anyways, rant over, but that is why they annoy me so much.

August 3rd, 2010 at 3:11 pm

whoops, last back to back 10 win season was in ’93-’94, point remains the same

August 3rd, 2010 at 3:14 pm

And this:

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 5:00 pm

The kid who dumped the beer on their heads goes to Pitt. We’re ashamed of that. And I maintain that we’ve never thrown urine bombs.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 5:20 pm

pitt student and psu fan? confused?

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Not everyone can get into Penn State. And let me assure you, there are plenty more of that configuration than the other way around.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 7:51 pm

it just doesn’t make sense. its like being an OSU fan and going to TSUN.

or is this a fabricated rivalry too?

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 7:55 pm

That rivalry is pretty much dead, especially amongst today’s college population. And I’m sure there’s a handful of Buckeye faithful in Ann Arbor. They just know better than to tell anyone.

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 8:06 pm

yeah, they’d get beaten to death by massive egos

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 8:18 pm

But let’s be honest here, Michigan is a damn good school. That’s a pretty good question, though, is it worth the education to be surrounded by all those scUM fans?

Eric@theBBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Depends on the field, but there are very few that Michigan dominates compared to OSU these days. That’s the joy of attending a Big Ten institution! =D

PSUfanNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 9:20 pm

How about Michigan law? I think I’d have to suck it up for that.

Eric@theBBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Yea, that’s one of them ;)

southbaybuckeye_ITSNo Gravatar
    August 4th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

there was an article on msn money/forbes recently that ranked UofM as one of the most overrated institutions in the land. PSU was also in the top 10.

6. Jeff at The BBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Update – PSUfan is banned.

Yes, I have his IP address. Bwahahahahahahaha, I have no cookie-cutter website overlords to stop me this time!!!!!!!

Jeff at The BBCNo Gravatar
    August 3rd, 2010 at 10:04 pm

For the record, PSUfan, I didn’t do it the first time, and I won’t do it this time.

Calm down, and you’re welcome back here to comment. Otherwise, we don’t care if you’re here or not. You know how to reach me, dude.