Silver Bullet Points Gets Into The Holiday Spirit

Written December 7th, 2010 by MaliBuckeye

Festive

It’s a bit quiet in Columbus… not a creature was stirring, as it were.

Buckeye 411

Around The Big T1e1n

Elsewheres

Nothing trumps that...

1. Craig56No Gravatar
    December 7th, 2010 at 4:49 pm

What really bothers me about the article regarding university athletics is that right after they dump on Ohio State, the guy says this: Am I deliberately choosing a college with sports mania but a reputation for weak academics — the kind of place likely to have skewed priorities?

At one point, I might have characterized Ohio State that way, but not any more. There must be better examples of huge programs that don’t care about academics.

December 7th, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Agreed, Craig… Even though I don’t think he was taking a shot at OSU, it certainly could and should have been written better to lead into the Cal dialogue.

CharlesNo Gravatar
    December 8th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I read it the same way as Craig, as a completely unnecessary shot at OSU’s academics. I actually agree with a lot of what he says, that athletic departments have gotten too large and salaries too high. This is especially troubling based on the NCAA report that almost all athletic departments lose money. That said, he took a cheap shot, or at least wrote something ambiguous that could easily be read that way.

2. jonnyNo Gravatar
    December 7th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

hey — anybody else here think Luke Fickell may be a sleeper candidate for the Pitt job?

December 7th, 2010 at 5:08 pm

God, I hope not…

ErictBBCNo Gravatar
    December 7th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Luke Fickell is a dark horse candidate for any job these days, except for maybe M*ch*g*n, IMHO.

The important question in my mind, however, is if he has been promised something at OSU in the next few years. If he’s been tabbed as the replacement to Tressel (Fickell is the co-defensive coordinator right now) I rather doubt he’ll pass that up for any other offer. I believe that was the reason the rumors regarding him jumping to Notre Dame died very quickly.

3. jonnyNo Gravatar