The Buckeye Battle Cry Radio Hour: Rant Hammer

Written December 29th, 2010 by Eric

Welcome to a special edition of tBBC Radio Hour!  This week I fly solo on the hot button topic of the year – the Sugar Bowl non-suspensions.

It’s a lot longer than I intended, but I hope you enjoy it.  Of course, with any rant you’ve got to have a couple words of warning.

1. Definitely NSFW.  Wear headphones and keep the volume down.  Most certainly not family friendly.
  2. I love Tressel, I really do.  Promise.  Same with this university.  The reason I rant so hard is because I frankly expect better.
  3. Polite applause for Along the Olentangy, please.  They finally joined the opinion circle by coincidentally posting an article that tries to refute my basic point.  Too bad they come ill equipped.  AtO does more to strengthen my argument than hurt it.  The issue at hand is not whether or not the NCAA rulebook allows them to take the action it did.  Of course it does, and of course we know that it does.  The point is whether the rulebook should allow them to do it at all.  Quite honestly, the answer is no.  The fact this rule exists at all merely gets at my base argument that the NCAA is out of control, and unable to legislate it’s basic operating premise.
  4. This was recorded before the player statement’s meeting was announced.
  5. I’ve asked for emails.  You can feel free to email me here with any topics you like.  I will write a discussions article with thoughts from some of the better emails that don’t necessarily warrant inclusion in a future podcast.  That includes negative thoughts as well.
  6. The views expressed are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of anyone else at The Buckeye Battle Cry, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

The podcast is below the break.  Enjoy!

1. MaliBuckeyeNo Gravatar
    December 28th, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Great work, Eric… hope you’re feeling better. :)

My thoughts:

Tressel didn’t show a lack of integrity, he has continually allowed his senior leadership a chance to weigh in on these types of things. We don’t know what’s yet in store for these players, and (unless they’re suspended or benched for a while) we won’t know. That’s the way Tress works.

I agree that “ineligible” should mean “ineligible for the bowl”. Another point of view- if Smith and Delaney advocated for exemption from bowl suspension, then it might be bad form for Tress to override the exemption that they fought for.

RE: selling championship merchandise- all I can find is a memo from June 2003, as mentioned on ESPN.com here:

As it turned out, the NCAA decided that its rules were unclear on the sale of championship rings and other memorabilia. The Georgia players were cleared of any wrongdoing and didn’t have to repay the money they received.

Georgia did manage to recover about half the rings, which are stored in an athletic department safe, said Amy Chisholm, the school’s director of compliance.

Meanwhile, the NCAA altered its rules, making it crystal clear that no one can peddle a championship ring.

A June memorandum stated: “A student-athlete shall not sell any item received for intercollegiate athletics participation or exchange such item for another item of value.”

ESPN. Yeah, you nailed it. When you’ve got 24 hours of coverage, you’ve got to come up with 24 hours of “news”. Although, having Erin Andrews on is a good way to start Saturday morning.

Mark May- Interesting take on May by Buckeye Planet’s team here (click this for the link). I take his reflections on this matter with the same gravity that I give Craig “I got my team the only death penalty ever levied” James’.

Not sure you can revoke Herbie’s “Buckeye card”, although I’m sure you’re not alone in wanting it done.

2. Buckeye from TSUNNo Gravatar
    December 28th, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Bravo, Eric. I agree 100%, and it’s about time someone bit into Pryor’s ass. He needs to keep his flippin’ mouth shut. His whole rambling about if he was in Cam Newton’s offense, then he would “dominate the nation”, made me regurgitate part of my lunch. Also in the same article he was quoted as saying, “I’m 30-4″. Umm…what about all the other people that played in all of those game? What an arrogant ass. He can bail to the NFL for all I care.

It’s just beyond me why anyone would sell championship memoribilia….especially for TATTOOS? (I’m just not buying the whole “money for my family” story) Seriously, WTF?

I guess you also inspired me to rant a little bit. Thanks!

Go Bucks!

3. EricNo Gravatar
    December 28th, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Thanks for the rant Buckeye! Glad I helped bring forth your muse =D

I am surprised that this is attached to discounts for tattoos. However it might be linked – be it two separate instances that a couple of players were wrapped up in both, or inexorably linked elements to the same story – tattoos are a pretty unfortunate reason to break NCAA rules.

I guess there is one good thing to come from that. Those tattoos they “bought” will be a constant reminder for the rest of their lives of the mistake they made.

4. MaliBuckeyeNo Gravatar
    December 29th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Well… now you’ve done it Eric.

You pissed off the NCAA. Oooooohhhh!!!

The notion that the NCAA is selective with its eligibility decisions and rules enforcement is another myth with no basis in fact.

Money is not a motivator or factor as to why one school would get a particular decision versus another. Any insinuation that revenue from bowl games in particular would influence NCAA decisions is absurd, because schools and conferences receive that revenue, not the NCAA.

I, for one, hope criticism of the NCAA’s alleged objectivity doesn’t screw Ohio State in the appeals process.

December 29th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Hah, I’d love it if they were actually listening to me.

To be honest, if they screw over Ohio State due to the comments of a couple of bloggers who are rightly angry about their decision making process, then they deserve all the criticism that has been aimed at them the last couple of days – and more. They clearly base their decisions on the letter, rather than the spirit, of their precious bylaws, and they fail to recognize when one of their bylaws is actually improper. To heighten their punishments on a team because some bloggers got their undies in a twist simply proves that they are unbalanced and incompetent.

Enjoy chewing on the national bile, NCAA. You’ve earned it.

December 29th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

It’s not about money, but the Sugar Bowl certainly feels as if they had some impact on the decision:

On a day when five Ohio State players said they were sorry for violating NCAA rules, Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan was unapologetic for pressuring OSU to try to keep the players eligible for the game.
    ….
    But those suspensions will not take effect until the start of the 2011 season. OSU officials, along with Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, successfully lobbied the NCAA to reinstate the players for the Sugar Bowl.

Hoolahan said he was first told of the possible suspensions a few days after Ohio State learned of them on Dec. 7. He said athletic director Gene Smith said to him that OSU was trying to push the suspensions back to the 2011 season, and Hoolahan then told Smith how strongly he felt about the players participating in the Sugar Bowl.

“I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year’s game, we would greatly appreciate it,” Hoolahan said. “That appeal did not fall on deaf ears, and I’m extremely excited about it, that the Buckeyes are coming in at full strength and with no dilution.”

December 29th, 2010 at 3:27 pm

….I almost feel another rant coming on. Gene Smith showed his true colors here.

December 29th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Brother, the true color of college sports is green. Has been since television was involved…

December 29th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

True that

5. Buckeye from TSUNNo Gravatar
    December 29th, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Let it loose, Eric…it’s not good to keep those feelings bottled up inside!

December 29th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

lol, so I’m learning!

6. ChrisNo Gravatar
    December 29th, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I happened to see a good majority of the Buckeyes at the airport today while they were traveling to New Orleans. Each of the players were easy to spot wearing their tOSU gear all except Terrell Pryor. I wonder if he sold his? lol

December 29th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Haha, well played.

Could this be a sign that Pryor has, in fact, decided to bail out after this season?

Charles@OHDNo Gravatar
    December 29th, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I normally wouldn’t be surprised to hear that Pryor wasn’t wearing his OSU gear at something like that, but after what happened I thought he would have it on in order to try to improve the impression he is giving fans and the coaches. This could definitely be a sign that he is closer to going than to staying.

December 29th, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Or, because it’s really ridiculous to guess about stuff like this, it could be because he’s trying to keep as low of a profile as a 6′ 5″ athlete can, especially one that’s been plastered all over the media recently.

Charles@OHDNo Gravatar
    December 29th, 2010 at 11:08 pm

That is very true Mali. For all we know it just means he forgot to do his laundry or something.

December 29th, 2010 at 11:14 pm

College kids… when will they ever learn. :)

Nice coverage of the Duquesne game yesterday btw…

ChrisNo Gravatar
    December 30th, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I doubt it really means anything but how low a profile can you keep in a big group of other players. Besides I would bet at least 85% of the general fan base wouldn’t recognize him without his number 2 jersey on.