Urban Meyer Update

Written November 17th, 2011 by MaliBuckeye

Several sources have informed Buckeye Nation this evening that Urban Meyer is almost a certainty to be the next head coach at Ohio State University.

Headed Home?

Again, this is just a rumor at this point. But the timeline for this news seems to be pretty solid, not including the emails and phone calls we’ve been a part of over the past few hours. Take a gander:

So this is where we currently stand. There are still a number of questions to be answered, primarily “Is this accurate?” If it is, though, we will still need to discover the following pieces of information:

• What will be the NCAA’s final ruling on the ongoing investigation, and how might this effect any coaching search?
  • What are the final numbers regarding salary, tenure, etc.?
  • What will the future coaching staff look like? Will any current Buckeyes be retained?

On this last point- there have been whispers for a while now that Coach Fickell would be glad to stay on board at Ohio State, should he not be retained as head coach and should the new administration extend that offer. There is even speculation that Coach Fickell might be kept on as a “Assistant Head Coach” or “Head Coach In Waiting”- obviously having Urban Meyer as the new head man might strengthen those ideas (given his health concerns and the desire to find better balance between his personal and professional life).

So for now, we wait.  Don’t be surprised to have a number of sources refute this for the next several days, or even if the agreement changes and/or dissipates. We’ve seen that before in major coaching searches, with even solid sources being off base.

But for now, this is where we are: Sources are pointing to Urban Meyer returning to Columbus as the next head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes.

1. West Coast BuckeyeNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:55 am

Dear Football Gods,

Thank you for fall, when I get to put on my colors and show how firm my freindship whilst engaging in random bursts of spelling with passersby (O-H!) I understand we had some hubris and needed to be knocked down a peg. I’m willing to accept that. I even get that you felt we still didn’t get the message after taking our QB and Coach forever, Our HB and starting Immovable Left Tackle Shaped Object for five games, and our Speed Merchant WR for five games, so you took the one player who could make our youngster look better away for Another five games. I’m even trying to come to grips with the fact that you wanted us to lose to Purdue. Please don’t mess with us any further. Don’t make this a rumor. Let us get the Head coach we deserve and for god sakes, take this Blighted walrus from the staff.
    Thanks For your time,
    WCB

November 18th, 2011 at 11:19 am

Amen.

November 18th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

“Blighted walrus”! Great turn of the phrase, WCB. Made me laugh & cry simultaneously.

jaelleNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 12:44 pm

AMEN! LOL

2. StaceyNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 11:56 am

If Urban Meyer doesn’t become the next coach of The Ohio State Buckeyes I foresee Ohio State becoming yet another Big Ten team with a glorious PAST and no future. It will be “Remember when Ohio State USED TO BE great?” I truly believe Meyer is the only one who can come in, get everyone focused, and get the young talent to realize their full potential. Best of all, he won’t put up with any crap from kids, which is what THEY need. If Urban Meyer doesn’t take the job as head coach for The Ohio State Buckeyes I feel sorry for whatever poor schmuck does. Everyone in Buckeye Nation knows nobody else will do. I believe he knows it, too.

MattNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I disagree with everything you have just said. “Remember when Ohio State used to be great?” Ohio State has a storied history and isn’t going to fall off the map if they don’t end up getting one person. Second if you know anything about Urban, you’d know he’s had multiple problems with players in the past as well. Third I believe everyone probably viewed Jim Tressel as some “poor schmuck” as you say about any other coach coming in and he ended up doing a pretty decent job here right? So let’s get excited about Urban, but know he isn’t a saint either and we will survive if we don’t get him. We are a factory not an overnight success. Good try with thinking we won’t have a future though. But I am optimistic we are getting Urban!!

StaceyNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I’ll get excited about Urban when he officially commits.

West Coast BuckeyeNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

It’s not quite THAT bleak Stacy but we do need a good hire. I’d be happy with Dantonio giving up his status behind enemy lines and coming back as well, or a few other potential good fits. Just not Les Miles as one of the sites was bandying about, I lived through Tresselball and all of it’s last second shenanigans. I couldn’t take the overabundance of the “What the hell is he doing…..OH MY GOD IT WORKED! CRAP WE’RE DOWN BY 20…..THREE TURNOVERS IN A ROW WOOO!” Kind of Chaos that Comes with a descent into Milesian Madness*.

*Unconfirmed Rumors state that looking into Miles eyes for more than 30 seconds can lead one to the deepest pits of Lovecraftian Horror.

StaceyNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Ha!

3. Not youNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 12:30 pm

First of all, I have a subscription from scout.com and I never heard of numbers being put on this situation, especially not a multimillion dollar deal…It’s funny how people make stuff up and then blame it on others. Pathetic sports reporters, get a real job and stop playing telephone because you are horrible at life and what you do for a living. SAD

November 18th, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Broseph… if the numbers or if this rumor is wrong, we’ll be glad to update it.

4. bucknutNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I find it hard to beleive that anyone is going to be hired before any other’s are interviewed. The NCAA has a rule that all universities have to interview a person of a different race to comply with laws against racisim. I’m sure that after everything OSU has been through they are going to cross all their Ts and dot all of the I’s before they hire anyone. I hope we get Urban but we need to do it right

November 18th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The interesting thing is that they might have been doing this all along- we aren’t privy to the stuff that happens behind the scenes.

Hey! Maybe that’s why Gene’s handling of the media has been such a cluster bomb… it’s a diversion from the real story!!

5. RobNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

@Bucknut, there is no “Rooney Rule” in college football like there is in the NFL, so Ohio State can do anything they please.

Division I athletic directors did agree to interview minorities for open positions but there is no requirement to do so.

November 18th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Yup- although (to get tangential), I wish that there was some sort of rule like that. That less than 15% of D1A coaches are persons of color is a problem.

And, it’s one of the reasons that people are questioning the NCAA’s tax-exempt status; how can they maintain that if they don’t require their members to follow the same hiring practices as the rest of the University?

/policital stuff

West Coast BuckeyeNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I agree with that Mali, also I would like to stop governmental funding of the NCAA on the basis of the fact that they are doodyheads. You can’t argue with that, it’s science.

November 18th, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Point of order- Governmental folks are also doodyheads. Conflict of interest.

West Coast BuckeyeNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Valid and logical observation. Point Sustained.

DrewNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 4:36 pm

What percentage of the population is a person of color? But to your point, what percentage of football coaches are persons of color? I do not think either of these percentages is as low as 15% but I do not think it more than 25%.

November 18th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Great question, Drew, and may be best saved for an “offseason” look at this issue- I used to do this every year on my other website.

But at first glance, let’s look at the head coaches in the BCS conferences. We need to also realize that “persons of color” is hard to define- I’m Scots-Irish, and am not see through. :)

B1G- 12 teams, 0 non caucasian head coaches
    PAC- 12 teams, 2 non caucasian head coaches (Stanford, Colorado)
    Big 12- 10 teams, 1 non caucasian HC (Kansas)
    SEC- 12 teams, 2 non caucasian HC (Kentucky, Vanderbilt)
    ACC- 12 teams, 2 non caucasian HC (Virginia, UNC [interim])
    Big East- 8 teams, 1 non caucasian HC (Louisville)

TOTAL 66 teams, 8 non caucasian head coaches- 12%

West Coast BuckeyeNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I’m going to go ahead and point you to the 2010 census results for the demographic reports.
    72.4% of the reported population of the united States is self determinied to be White alone. Based on this statistic that would make 27.6% of the country Persons of Color. However that stat is irrelevant in the argument. The proper question would be what the population of College Football Coaches and Athletes are Persons of Color. I can’t find a stat for the percentage of that but I can tell you that my favorite football team starts a majority of Persons of Color. Ultimately what needs to happen is what has started to happen with Quarterbacks. We don’t even talk about their race any more. Because Ultimately we’re just people. Stigmas against people because of race are silly. Are the first two words in your head when I say Troy Smith, Black Quarterback? Because for me the first two words remain Future GOvernor. As long as there continues to be coaches like Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, et al. The words Black head coach( or Head coach of Color) will ultimately become meaningless. And as I see it that should be the goal. Now should we choose to discriminate against our fellow people I suggest we do it for the right reasons…..Like being a wolverine. Heck I still look at Hugh Jackman kinda crosswise just on General Priciple.

McCagueNo Gravatar
    November 22nd, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Malibuckeye,

OSU has but to intervue a member of its own staff to satify the minority rule.

The bigger issue is the time following the first day of posting until a hire is possible.

November 22nd, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yup- although there’s not a “rule” per se in college sports (is there a requirement in the University?)

Anywho- it looks like we’re done, according to Bill Greene from Scout. I, for one, hail our newest Urban overlord.

6. JohnNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

F the NCAA for dragging on this investigation.
    I love how they were so quick to dismiss the Auburn investigation (probably off-shore accounts)

7. MaliBuckeyeNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

The guys at 11W are reporting something else we’ve heard for a couple of days now- that Meyer may bring with him current LSU offensive coordinator Chuck Studrawa to Columbus.

Studrawa was on Meyer’s staff at Bowling Green, and was also a GA at OSU under John Cooper.

No information on his turf preference, thought.

8. West Coast BuckeyeNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Mea culpa for breaking the formatting somehow. I think I ripped a hole in the Space Time contiuum

November 18th, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Fixed it. Durn hamsters in the flux capacitors again.

9. JeffNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I can’t get past the 7 year $35 million part of this rumor. I mean Tressel was only getting 3.5 a year. I’m calling BS on all of this wishful thinking.

November 18th, 2011 at 9:57 pm

That’s the part that most people are stuck on- both the dollar amount and the guaranteed length. But, I’ve also read that this part was based on speculation once the “deal” was leaked.

10. ArturoNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I think they need a start fresh. Luke was delt a bad hand and you have to give the guy credit,we really have not done too bad considering the mess we had down their at the shoe. Our loses we had were close, but they still have alot of work to do. Urban would be a great one to get. If he does I hope he gives Fickell the respect he deserves and keep him and Vrabel on board and get rid of the rest. We have so much talent and poetential to do well and get back up in the top ten like we were before. Urban is our man and we need someone to clean house!

GO BUCKEYES!!

11. ArturoNo Gravatar
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

OH! I forgot MICHIGAN SUCKS!!!!!

November 18th, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Good catch. We expect nothing less from you, bro. :)

12. MikeNo Gravatar
    November 21st, 2011 at 11:42 am

I would welcome Tony Dungee interviewing for the job and accepting.

November 21st, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Me too: http://buckeyehousecall.blogspot.com/2011/11/2-top-ten-most-wanted.html

13. goblueNo Gravatar
    November 23rd, 2011 at 12:20 am

Just like you fair weather suckeye fans. Always ready to jump a sinking ship. If Urban doesn’t win enough games, you band wagon fans will call for his head! You people have no loyalty, just like Urban(ask Florida fans)!

November 23rd, 2011 at 12:28 am

You’re right, we’re a Fickell bunch (see what I did there?).

Congrats on your great season this year- I’m glad to see that your commitment to Rich Rodriguez has paid off.

NoFairWeatherFanNo Gravatar
    November 24th, 2011 at 5:57 am

lol, MaliBuckeye! Love it! No matter what happens, I support my Bucks! Isn’t a fair weather fan someone that gives up on their team (not the coach) or did I miss something?

14. Ole SargeNo Gravatar
    November 25th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

What you doing trolling he ME Chicken Fan? Dont you have enough to do on the baby Poop YELLOW and Blue site? Well Trolling like that will not get you anything here! By the way I do second the loyalty to Rich Rod, Moeller (oops he was just a drunk) and Lloyd (over the hill where did that Tressel guy learn how to beat me EVERY TIME). BBAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA… Go Trolling at MSU site…