Silver Bullet Points Reads Up

Written January 11th, 2012 by MaliBuckeye

Books. Saving Lives For Years.

With the “off season” (or as Urban calls it- “Hunting Season”) upon us, SBP takes a bit of a different twist. Usually focused on news and updates from OSU press conferences and weekly preparation, during the off season, we’ll use this spot to affirm my ADD and help you stay on top of news from the national scene. In other words- things that you might have missed or will want to print to read during those boring meetings or  your “consulting” trips to the washroom. I read it so you don’t have to.

Bowl championship Series

But because the agreement between cable network and bowl series has to make you wonder where the relationship between ESPN and the football it pretends to cover begins and ends. Are they partners? Is this a legitimate subject-reporter situation? Once ESPN buys access to an event don’t they then turn from journalist to promoter?

Don’t answer.

Everyone already knows.

When ESPN selectively covers stories, as it does during a college football season, and attempts to dictate what is news and what is not to the public, how can any of us not be left wondering if they’re really reporting the news or simply protecting their bowl-week product? After all, they’re in this thing together now. When they’re slow to break a story, can we be sure why?

Problems And Solutions

Tip of the iceberg- click the link above. Courtesy of http://www.onlinecolleges.net/

Over the last few months, in consultation with sports economists, antitrust lawyers and reformers, I put together the outlines of what I believe to be a realistic plan to pay those who play football and men’s basketball in college. Although the approach may appear radical at first glance, that’s mainly because we’ve been brainwashed into believing that there’s something fundamentally wrong with rewarding college athletes with cold, hard cash. There isn’t. Paying football and basketball players will not ruin college sports or cause them to become “subcontractors.” Indeed, given the way big-time college sports are going, paying the players may be the only way to save them.

Imagine if Big East basketball players suddenly refused to play next Monday night. Or if Alabama and LSU had intentionally delayed the start of national title game by two hours. Or if college athletes embarked on a rolling series of strikes, sudden and unpredictable, throwing the sports entertainment calendar into chaos. Imagine network executives taking angry calls from their sponsors and panicked calls from corporate accounting. Imagine those same executives placing stern calls to university athletic directors and presidents.

Other Stuff

Stuck In Your Head All Day

And Finally…

• Brilliant? Lazy? You be the judge:

1. DaleNo Gravatar
    January 11th, 2012 at 8:45 am

I felt the championship game was a snoozer. I don’t know what was in Les Miles’ mind, but not putting in his other quarterback was a head scratcher. 92 total yards for LSU and they still earn a #2 ranking? Oklahoma State really gets the shaft here.

ErictBBCNo Gravatar
    January 11th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yet another case of ESPN pleasing the SEC (their partners, remember).

That and the fact that LSU did beat Alabama, and WVa, and Oregon during the year. I’m sure that helped a great deal as well.

2. Joe DexterNo Gravatar
    January 11th, 2012 at 9:11 am

Is this what goes on at the Mali Manor on Friday Nights? BRILLIANT.

3. ErictBBCNo Gravatar
    January 11th, 2012 at 9:33 am

I have to hand it to the fans. They demonstrated exactly what I hoped – that a large number would refuse to watch despite the inordinate number of sportswriters claiming they would be compelled to turn it on.

I’m so proud I could just cry.

I also suspect that the whole BCS took a hit because of two reasons. 1) as you mentioned, a general dissatisfaction with the 2011 Bowl Season, and 2) a severe dissatisfaction with the BCS in general. I wonder, how did the other bowls fair in comparison? Did they all drop by about 10% viewership? Or did the ones outside the BCS lose fewer numbers?

January 11th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Great question- I’m sure our friend Jay will have an update on The Wiz of Odds relatively soon.

January 11th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I think in my case not watching the MNC game was a combination of a couple of things. The first was my utter disgust that those two teams were playing in it and the hype that lead up to the game. Plus eff ESPN.

The other factor was “bowl fatigue”. There were way too many undeserving teams playing over the Holidays. On aggregate, I probably watched less football this year than in any year I can remember.

In fact, the only game I watched end-to-end was Gator Bowl, only because Ohio State played (in a manner of speaking) in it. Truthfully, I was fairly indifferent to the game, because it was another “manufactured” bowl game. Seriously, if not for the Urban Meyer angle, would many people actually give a shit about two 6-6 teams?

January 11th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Oh, one more thing. I don’t know if there was a performance clause built into the advertising buys (TV sets tuned to game, etc) but I hope that the low viewership of the MNC game costs ESPN a lot of $$$$. Not to be a dick or anything…