Ohio State Recruiting: Malik Zaire to Notre Dame

Written March 26th, 2012 by Jim

Archbishop Alter QB Malik Zaire is a Golden Domer.

Notre Dame went on a major recruiting run this past weekend, landing three big time offensive tackle prospects (including two with Ohio State offers) and Ohio quarterback Malik Zaire out of Kettering Archbishop Alter.

Zaire was offered by Ohio State’s previous coaching staff and continued to be recruited by Urban Meyer- clearly he was one of the top targets on Ohio State’s QB board.

The same “you hate to see Ohio kids go to other schools” principal applies here as well, particularly Ohio kids that the Buckeyes were recruiting.

So, Ohio State lost a top quarterback from Ohio that they had been pursuing through two coaching staffs- big deal, right?

Well, outside of another old principle- a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, Ohio State is still on track to hit its mark recruiting quarterbacks this year.

Interestingly enough, they will likely land the proverbial two in the bush.

From my first look at 2013 quarterbacks in February, I have said that Ohio State would end up with two quarterbacks in this class.

Urban Meyer is still on track to do just that, with the obvious subtraction of Zaire from the equation.

If Meyer continues to pursue Zaire, he still might be in the picture despite the early commitment, but that is not worth worrying about.

From the beginning the coaching staff have made it clear that they want to see each quarterback at camp to evaluate in-person, and those camps have yet to take place.

The good news is that things are looking good for Ohio State with elite Texas QB J.T. Barrett.

He is visiting Columbus as I write this, and I would not be surprised at all to see him at Ohio State.

Barrett will make his decision sometime before his senior season in the next few months.

My favorite for the second spot in the class is Mitch Trubisky. Being the only Ohio player left on the board with an offer, that prediction isn’t really going out on a limb.

Trubisky has plenty of ability (arm strength, scrambling), but his intangibles are off the charts (leadership, competitiveness) which is right in line with what Meyer looks for.

After those two, there is Ohio QB Tra’Von Chapman, who looks like he will have to impress at summer camp to be a part of the class, and VA QB Bucky Hodges, who I don’t see being a Buckeye.

I moved IL QB Aaron Bailey to an athlete, which is where the Buckeyes are looking at him, and I don’t think FL QB Darryl Richardson is being pursued by the new staff.

That is about it right now on the QB board.

There has certainly been some attrition from the board since the last update, and Ohio State still doesn’t have a QB in the class, so that isn’t ideal.

However, Trubisky and Barrett would be an outstanding class, and as mentioned, things are still looking good for both of them.

I am comfortable (and I think the staff is comfortable) with where things are at with the quarterbacks right now.

If the top two drop from the board to any place other than Ohio State, it would definitely be time to re-evaluate the class, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some new offers go out if that were to happen.

Right now, I don’t see that happening.

Give me Trubisky and Barrett and call it a QB class.

Remember to check out our 2013 Big Board for all the latest recruiting news and updates.

1. JimNo Gravatar
    March 26th, 2012 at 10:58 am

Oh yeah, and MO QB Trent Hosick is entering the picture as well- although he hasn’t received an offer yet.

I think he is a guy that will get a look if the top two go elsewhere.

Ben HNo Gravatar
    March 26th, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Wow Jim…just watched Trent’s film. Remind you of anyone??? I’d say Tebow…with more of an athletic arm and possibly a better runner. If those totals for his lifting are accurate…WOW! Still can’t believe those totals…
    Wow is all I can say if we can somehow lure this kid from Missouri to Ohio. Do you think he would be possibly better than Trubisky? (After watching both of their films, Trent’s seems better to me).

March 26th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I really try to avoid comparisons to Meyer’s old Florida players, but comparing Hosick to Tebow is hard to avoid.

I think Barrett is the #1 guy on the board right now, and Trubisky and Bosick will battle for the second spot in the class.

As far as the tape goes, I think both players are too close to really compare based on highlights alone. In my opinion, what it will boil down to is the in-person evaluations during camp.

Who is more competitive? Who responds to adversity better? Who is more coachable? And so on. It should be interesting.

Also, if Barrett isn’t as much of a Buckeye lean as I currently think he is, Trubisky and Hosick wouldn’t be a bad duo either.

Bottom line, Meyer is going to get some great quarterbacks at Ohio State.

Ben HNo Gravatar
    March 27th, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I like Barrett and Trubisky too…I was just very impressed with Hosick’s tape at first. I agree that the up close and personal will probably be the deciding factor too.
    Always wanted to tell you Jim that I love that pic…He was the first player I remember when I was a kid playing for Bruce (I was 5). He’s a great Buckeye! Go BUCKS!

2. DanNo Gravatar
    March 26th, 2012 at 11:35 am

I don’t know how hard Zaire was being recruited by Urban. According to Bucknuts, Meyer had never called Zaire a single time. Sure, other coaches had, but not Urban, which says a lot, if true, about Zaire’s spot on the board for this staff.

Ben HNo Gravatar
    March 26th, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I think they wanted to see Malik up close at Friday Night Lights before going all in (which probably won’t happen now). He’s only played one full year at QB for Alter and I’d doubt Meyer wants to put a lot of faith in a one year starter (even though he’s very talented). Meyer knows this class could be potentially small…so he can’t get everyone.

3. DaleNo Gravatar
    March 26th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Doesn’t Art Schlicter have a son that would be of high school age?

I would ‘bet’ that he does!

March 26th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Funny joke about gambling addiction.

If you were being at all serious, you may be thinking of Tom Tupa’s son, who will be a senior QB at Brecksville Broadview Heights this fall.

4. C-DogNo Gravatar
    March 26th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I’d sure like to see ‘em close on some of these guys. I know we focus on quality vs. quantity, but still…

March 26th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Signing day is over ten months away… there is PLENTY of time left to close on players.

It can’t be said much better than this: http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/football-recruiting/625000-2013-tosu-recruiting-discussion-12.html#post2132652

5. ANo Gravatar
    March 26th, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I don’t why anybody would commit early to Beetface.

6. JimNo Gravatar
    March 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Great stuff from 11W regarding Barrett’s visit this week.