I’d like to apologize again for today’s news- “Interesting” things always happen when I visit St. Louis. I honestly thought that we’d dodged a bullet, and then I get off the plane in LA to the following news:

Buckeye Targets Head Elsewhere- This afternoon, Jaylon Smith (brother of OSU Running Back Rod) solidified what many folks had speculated for a while by verballing to Coach Kelley and Notre Dame. The Buckeyes were seemingly in second place for him, although he was at the top of their list at the linebacker position. Speculation is that, in addition to feeling that South Bend was a better fit for him, there might have been some desire to get out of his brother’s shadow; although this may be projection based on Mike Heuerman’s recent similar status.

In addition, Maryland defensive lineman Maurice Hurst gave his verbal to Michigan this afternoon. Another Buckeye target, Hurst adds to an already solid recruiting class in Ann Arbor. In addition, rumors on the twittersphere are that another name on OSU’s list will be verballing to the Sun and Blue soon; I’ve seen speculation that it could be Derek Green, but most insiders are saying that it will be another defensive lineman from Maryland; Henry Poggi.

Stoneburner/Mewhort Arrested- I’d never heard of “Obstructing Official Business”, but that’s what led to starting tight end and offensive linemen for Ohio State being arrested today. From 10TV:

Tight end Jake Stoneburner and offensive lineman Jack Mewhort were arrested at about 2:30 a.m. by the Shawnee Hills police near the Bogey Inn, 10TV News reported.

Police told 10TV News that two officers saw the three men who they believed were urinating between buildings. The officers attempted to talk with them but they ran away.

Two of them were captured while they were crouched in between vehicles in a parking area used for the nearby Memorial Tournament, police said. The third person was found hiding in nearby woods after officers threatened to use a police dog.

All three were released about a little more than an hour later after posting $2,000 bond, according to the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office.

According to several sources, this is a minor issue that might not have even been sited if it weren’t for the extensive security that the golf tournament brings to the area. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how Coach Meyer responds.

When you got to go, you’ve got to go, right?

SUNDAY UPDATE- According to the lawyer representing Jack and Jake, both have been suspended indefinitely, pending the outcome of this matter. They contacted Coach Meyer immediately following the arrest, and will be arraigned on June 11.

1. RyanNo Gravatar
    June 3rd, 2012 at 9:57 am

I say good luck to the sun and blue. I want to see TSUN take some titles home. We’ll just grab two for every one they get. Urban will find players. I have faith in that. I don’t expect Green, as a power back has never fit the Urban offense. If in 2012 we actually use the talented power backs that we have then you can see one picked up next year. If I were a power running back I’d be going somewhere where I know I’d get my stats. Right now that’s any other big ten school….. or alabama, and I’d rather keep them in the midwest.

2. jeffNo Gravatar
    June 3rd, 2012 at 11:36 am

I just don’t get what is wrong with these kids. They know that they are being watched like a hawk. What in their minds do they think that nobody is going to look the other way? Right now and for the next 3 years every little detail will come under question. It is called nit picking. I know it sucks, but everyone is going to keep doing it until they can’t find something to dig up and say, “oh look OSU did something else wrong and it made the news again.” Everyone does it, we all have stupid stuff like this happen. Yet, they need to realize that the situation is under the public eye. They want to see players mess up. It makes for a great story for the media.

3. Ben HNo Gravatar
    June 3rd, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’m not going so far as to say they’re going to be suspended indefinitely. I could see a one game suspension or may be some practices in the fall at the least. Trust me when I say that tOSU’s staff will not F@#K around with arrests…bad press=NCAA violations if you don’t take precautionary measures to make sure that doesn’t happen. I’m not surprised yet I am at the same time by this. I would expect these guys after last years fun to find a F#@King bathroom or some trees or something (no policeman’s going to just let OSU football players go just because of who they are or small the violation). Wow is all I can say about this and IMO they deserve a game for doing it then running from the police (they don’t run, explain themselves…they probably get a warning or hand shakes after shaking their dicks). Idiots…two starters should know better!

June 3rd, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Welp, we got different news… although there are numerous folks who are saying the charges will be dropped.

4. ZNo Gravatar
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:39 am

Stoneburner and Mewhort were just running from the cops to get in shape. Haven’t you ever peed and ran at the same time?

June 4th, 2012 at 12:54 am

Not that I can remember. :)

5. ryanNo Gravatar
    June 4th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Meyer confirms that they are both suspended on FoxSportsOhio. I hope it’s only for a couple practices or a game.
    If I got in trouble every time I took a piss in the woods, I’d be looking at life in prison.