Are You Not Entertained? Nebraska

Written October 8th, 2012 by Eric

Jason

Carlos Hyde breaks for his last touchdown of the game.

Contain. Martinez was held to 40 yards on 18 carries. He also ended up throwing 25 times. That’s a good sign, if not for Burkhead’s 119 yards on 14 carries.

Defensive line dominance. Pretty strong statement for the D-Line on Saturday. John Simon was particularly disruptive.

Be smart. The penalties and turnovers were kept to a minimum for the most part. I still think a few of the penalties qualify as “silly” though.

Carpe Diem. Moment seized.

Feed Carlos. Feeding Carlos only got us 140 yards and 4 touchdowns. What were you thinking, unleashing a monster like that on the world?

Jim

Shut down the run, again. Not so much. 119 yards for Burkhead that was only stopped because he lost the ability to make a cut due to an injured knee.

Force Martinez into bad decisions. I think Bradley Roby alone forced Martinez into bad decisions. 2 picks for Roby, three total for the defense, and you can say this was definitely done.

Attack the middle of the defense. They started to hit this a bit by tossing to the tight-ends, but the passing game was almost entirely a secondary aspect of the offense this weekend. Use it when you need to, stick it in your back pocket when you don’t!

Less read option runs from Miller. How about more read options, all of which are correctly delivered?

Eric

This is as good as a deep pass. And more stylish too. Cue Shaq Trollface.

No turnovers from the Bucks. We had one turnover when Carlos Hyde got the ball stripped while plowing for the endzone. I can’t blame him too much for that one – it was really a better defensive play.

Improvement in the Corey Brown Screen. We didn’t use it too much, and when we did, it lacked punch. This is a wash until we use it more than once or twice in a game.

More. Shots. Downfield. Or don’t take it repeatedly, and just run the ball all over the field. Like crazy.

Improvement from the defense. There were positives here, and also a few negatives. The defense continues to do what it needs to in order to get the job done.

Joe L.

Lockdown Defense. Less than 17 points? You meant in the first quarter right? The score at the end of one was 14-7 Nebraska.

Win the turnover battle. Turnover battle was won 4-1 by the good guys. Those three picks really cost the Huskers.

Big plays of 20+ yards. From someone other than Braxton? Ok, Heuerman had a 37 yard catch, and Vannett had a 32 yard catch. Also, Rod Smith went for 33 yards and Carlos Hyde went for 23. Still doesn’t quite beat Braxton Miller’s 72 yard scamper, though.

No stupid penalties. There were a few false starts in the first quarter. Thanks Joe.

Malibuckeye

Jeff Heuerman cruises for his first career touchdown.

Tight End Attack.We definitely hit the tight ends a few times for big yardage – 85 yards and 3 of the Buckeye’s 7 receptions went to the tight ends on Saturday.

“Bad” Martinez. How about “ok” Martinez? He wasn’t solid running, but he did complete 15 passes for 214 yards and a touchdown…oh and 3 picks.

That One Thing. And this time we came out of the gate and dropped two. Well done Mali.

Trench Dominance. It took a quarter for things to settle down, but once they did the offensive line was nearly unstoppable. Give the big hog-mollies in the trench the ‘W’ for this one!

No Late Magic. Does Carlos Hyde punching one in from 16 yards out with 48 seconds to go count as “Late Magic”? No? Carry on.

Janelle

John Simon was a force in the backfield, recording 5 TFLs.

Get off the Field on 3rd Down. Nebraska was 5-14 (35.7%) on 3rd down conversions against the Buckeyes – which may be an improvement. Unfortunately they were also 2-2 on 4th down conversions.

Pass Rush. John Simon was a beast in the backfield, and a few other guys made Martinez feel their presence in his pocket.

No Turnovers. As above, a single turnover was given, but it was a “forgivable” fumble. It’s still something the Buckeyes could work on improving down the line.

Electricity in The ‘Shoe. 106,000 people showed up, and it sure sounded like they were making the place electric. I would love to see more of that later in the season.

1. Ed (Flabuckeye)No Gravatar
    October 8th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Fantastic game……60 burger. I will take it.

Ohh and by the way ….the next time an opposing teams kicking team trots out onto the field during Script Ohio at halftime, it should become a state law that they all be tazzed……including thier ignorant a** ! coaches.

2. CoquiNo Gravatar
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Jason and Jim, Burkhead had one great run. You take away that one run and it’s 13 carries for 47 yards. Yes it was a breakdown in defense, but it’s not like it was a consistent lack of showing by the defense.

Janelle, I have a feeling a certain game in November should be as electric if not more (would that be possible?)

October 9th, 2012 at 11:38 am

As Jim pointed out, the comments in the AYNE are my answers to their wishes.

To answer your question – the Michigan game could certainly be more electric…especially if Michigan keeps winning. That could be one of the great titanic clashes in a rivalry who’s history is riddled with titanic clashes.

CoquiNo Gravatar
    October 9th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I know it’s your answers, but it was much easier to seperate the posts I meant by doing that. ;)

October 9th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Good thinking :)

3. JeffNo Gravatar
    October 8th, 2012 at 11:17 pm

OK so Sabino is injured…can someone explain to me why they are not using Curtis Grant? He is a sophmore and has more experience than most of the freshman lb’s there…i am just curious to why he has back slide on the depth chart?

October 9th, 2012 at 1:18 am

There’s some speculation that the game hasn’t “slowed down” for him just yet- that he’s still “Read/React…” rather than “React”.

The younger guys are more geared to just “go”, but the drawback there is that they might not be in the right position (think Shazier from last season).

JeffNo Gravatar
    October 9th, 2012 at 8:46 am

well…if he doesn’t get into the game…how can he not get past this? sorry, i just disagree with the staff…I think he capable I think the coaching staff has given up on him

4. JimNo Gravatar
    October 9th, 2012 at 5:59 am

For the record, as individuals we submit what we would like to see, but we don’t get to determine whether or not our wishes were met.

So, for instance, I personally was very satisfied with the way our defense was able to neutralize Nebraska’s running game despite the commentary in this article.

I also dispute whether or not Braxton is actually making reads better or if the coaching staff is utilizing more plays that don’t require a read (like those highly successful counter runs, for instance). I would say it is much more the latter rather than the former. So my expectation was still met, but not in the way that this article indicates.

Ed (Flabuckeye)No Gravatar
    October 9th, 2012 at 7:29 am

Jim, I kinda feel they are opening the play book. And I feel Braxton is seeing his reads better, he just has to polish his throws and be more consistant ( as well as WR’s catching whats in thier area consistantly).

October 9th, 2012 at 11:19 am

Jeff Amey’s article at the ozone defends some of my conclusion on the read plays. He coments that we ran the read option 16 times for 149 yards, at 9.3 ypc. He also points out that Braxton has significantly improved his reads, but still has a ways to go for perfection. So my statement of “all were correctly delivered” is off, but the general gist is correct – substantial improvement in the read.

“He wasn’t perfect in this game with his option reads, but he was better, and kept the ball on a couple of plays that broke for big plays that he’s been very indecisive on in the past.” – Jeff Amey

Also, I will point out that the read option was the most frequently called running play for the game by the Buckeyes, at 33% of our running calls. The inside zone was next at 25%.

I’m willing to tip my hat to the run defense point made in comments above. Sans the one play, you are correct that the defense held pretty stout against the run.

October 9th, 2012 at 11:33 am

So, call me egotistical but I will then question whether or not Amey knows what he is talking about. Handing the ball off out of shotgun does not automatically make the play a read option.

I also think that a lot of the keeps that Braxton broke for long gains were designed counters without a read involved as evidenced by Hyde lead blocking on those plays.

Either Miller is getting much more decisive in his handling of those plays or the coaches are simply calling handoffs or keeps/counters rather than reads out of the shotgun.

Either way, the run game is carrying the team right now and that is a great thing. Whatever they are doing let’s keep doing it.

October 9th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Ok, how’s it going egotistical? ;)

I have a hard time believing that Jeff Amey is confused about the difference between a read option and a simple hand-off out of the shotgun.

Unfortunately, since I don’t have a copy of the game film myself, I can’t say much more than “Welp..”. Perhaps Ross Fulton will say something about the option reads in his article this week.

October 9th, 2012 at 11:43 am

Alright, so just for a bit of an olive branch here. I am sure making those reads is a helluva lot easier when the line is taking names like they have been and against defenses not as good as Michigan State.

So, I will concede some ground on this although I still think the percentage of true “reads” on those handoffs has been cut by the coaches.

October 9th, 2012 at 11:33 am

Also – a double check of the Michigan State stats shows that we called the Option Run 10 times in that game, which counted for 23% of the running plays. Designed QB runs accounted for 25% of the runs in that game.

Sorry Jim – we clearly called more reads in this game.

October 9th, 2012 at 11:37 am

That’s because we stopped running the read options in the second half against MSU because we were doing so poorly with them.

So, did we see that big of a turnaround in one week or did the coaches continue the trend that started last week and simply adjusted the playbook to highlight Miller’s strength (running) rather than his weakness (making reads).

I guess you, Amey and I will have to agree to disagree on that. Like I said, handing the ball off out of shotgun does not always equal a read option and I get the feeling Amey is not making that distinction in his breakdown.