The weekend was just another building block for Urban Meyer. There were 50+ recruits in town that got to see a great environment, the coaches and players at an all time high in terms of excitement, and how close knit the team is. In addition all the coaches and players showing respect for the seniors that will be leaving and the field littered with underclassmen making impacts all over the field. So lets just say that all recruits were excited, they had a great time, enjoyed the game atmosphere, got to see Urban Meyer’s championship rings, and loved how everyone felt like it was a family atmosphere.
Now that we got that out of the way way we can talk about the information that really matters:
- The Glenville 3 (’13 Chris Worley, ’14 Marshon Lattimore and Marcelys Jones) were in town and will all be Bucks when the time is right
- WR and LB recruiting are clearly the two biggest positions that Urban Meyer and staff after after. At the WR position OH WR Shelton Gibson was in town and as we have said for the past couple months if all is in order in the classroom Shelton will be a Buckeye. KY WR James Quick has said all the right things after his visit and I have penciled him in the class. Urban Meyer is personally handling his recruitment and he doesn’t miss very often. Juco WR Corey Smith was in town and the staff reaffirmed his OFFER, and encouraged him to revisit for an official in January and it sounds like Brown will take them up on that offer. At this point I think that the staff would take all three and add to Jalin Marshall, Zeke Elliott, and Taivon Jacobs and be very happy with their offensive playmakers for the ’13 class.
- LB recruiting is huge right now. The biggest official visit that created the most buzz for the weekend was GA LB Trey Johnson. He is a 4 star prospect that says he is still verballed to Auburn who just fired Gene Chizik, but that could change over the next few weeks as the staff continues to pursue him, but we went from in the game, to a real possibility. TX LB Mike Mitchell was not in town but he has been confirmed for Dec 7th for his official which is big news. The staff was in for an in-home this past weekend. Look for FL LB Skai Moore to also be in town that weekend.
- Turning to the ’14 class at LB GA LB Raekwon McMillian who was pushing Trey Johnson to Ohio State via twitter was in town and newest offer OH LB Kyle Berger was there as well. After watching his film I am really excited about looking to bring in 4 LB’s in next years class. To add to those two IL LB Clifton Garrett was in town who along with OH LB Dante Booker was busy winning his semi-finals game to help ASVSM advance to the state title game. Add two more in ’13 and 4 in ’13 and LB recruiting wont be quite as important for ’15, but watching on the field and losing Boren and Sabino it is obvious why the staff is making these top notch LBs their main targets.
- In addition to the LBs mentioned above the ’14 class saw big time talent 5* TN RB Jalen Hurd, #1 player in the country 5* VA DE Da’Shawn Hand, and IL OL Jamarco Jones in town and both enjoyed their visits. Others were in town and we will talk more about them in the coming weeks.
- Some ’15 recruits were also in town and while it is early to start talking about that class some names that we will be tracking for that class are KY RB Damien Harris, OH RB Darrin Hall, OH RB Jason Simon, and OH ATH Eric Glover-Williams all of whom should be highly regarded. Look for more names to pop up over the next couple months.
Along with the Michigan game this past weekend, there was some High School football that saw ’13 committs Cam Burrows and Jayme Thompson advance to the state title game. Darron Lee and New Albany lost to Burrows and Trotwood in what was a very exciting and thrilling game that finished 33-32 with New Albany missing a late FG. Darron Lee looked really good out there and should be a player at Ohio State.
At the end of the day no commitments were made, but there was nothing but good news that came out of the weekend. This week is state championship weekend in Ohio so look for a recap next week and Dec 7th is a big weekend as far as the next round of official visits goes.
Check out Josh Winslow’s gallery for pictures of most of the recruits that were in town.