This week is even more proof that the Big Ten is by far the best basketball conference in all of the land. Close games, back and forth battles, conference mix ups and parity continue into week 10 of the basketball season.
Heck, I’m pretty sure even Bo Ryan is smiling after his team defeated Indiana. The whole nation was flashing a thumbs up though to coach zombie after Iowa defeated the Badgers at Carver Hawkeye on Sunday.
Finally, those bums up north continued their solid play against top notch opponents. Want a reminder of just how bad Michigan basketball has been the last few years? They just got their first win against a top 10 road opponent since 1996.
This week’s presents an even more interesting week. Tonight, six teams will take to the hardwood. We will have all the coverage of Iowa and Wisconsin right here. Michigan State will take on Wisconsin. Illinois will look to bounce back against Nebrasketball.
The week wraps up with a great Sunday Match up between Michigan State and Indiana at Assembly Hall 1.
Every week, the gang at The B1g Time rank the conference with a writer voted power poll including your’s truly. Thanks to Andy Coppens for getting this group together.
Andy Coppens - The B1G Time/ MadTown Badgers (Wisconsin) (@andycoppens)
Will Nahikian - The B1G Time MSU contributor (@TheB1GTimeMSU)
Robert - A Lion Eye (Illinois) (@ALionEye)
Ross WB - Black Heart Gold Pants (Iowa) (@BHGP & @RossWB)
Brad Muckenthaler - Maize N Blue Nation (Michigan) (@MaizeBlueNation)
Ace Anbender - MGoBlog (Michigan) (@aceanbender)
Tom - The Daily Gopher (Minnesota) (@TheDailyGopher)
David McGee - CornNation (Nebraska) – (@CornNation)
Joe Dexter - The Buckeye Battle Cry (Ohio State) – (@joedexter)
And finally… What you’ve been waiting for…. Week 10′s Poll!
|Place||School (1st place votes)||Points||Last Week||Point Change|
|3||Michigan State (1)||88||5||+21|
Here are some of Andy Coppen’s thoughts from week 10′s voting:
- It was nearly unanimous with Michigan winning all but one of the 1st place votes this week, the one poll that voted MSU put Michigan 3rd in the poll.
- Michigan State gained the most points in the poll, but they were pretty much all over the place in the top half of everyone’s polls, occupying all spots 1-6, except for 2nd place.
- The Illini love affair came crashing down, even harder than it did last week from the loss to Wisconsin. I guess that’s what will happen when you’re losers of three straight games and don’t look good doing it.
- Nebraska lost points in the poll this week, even though they gained their 1st conference victory this season – on the road interestingly enough against Penn State.
- Speaking of Penn State, they earned every single last place vote for the 2nd week in a row and deservedly so after missing 3 of 4 free throws that would’ve won them the game at home against Nebraska this weekend.
- The most surprising part of the poll? The gap between 6th and 7th in the poll (Wisconsin & Iowa), who are 15 points apart. It makes you wonder what the Hawkeyes spot would’ve been had they lost that game late on Saturday, huh?
There without a doubt will be changes by the end of the week with so many great games and the parity of this league. What are your thoughts on the poll? How off were the voters?