Quick notes from week two of Ohio State’s pre-season practices. Obvious soundtrack is obvious
- Thank You- Sad news out of Columbus the past few days; Adam Griffin and Jamie Wood have both undergone surgeries that will effectively end their careers with the Buckeyes, it was announced on Thursday. Saturday, Tight End Blake Thomas from Cleveland St. Ignatius also decided to hang up the cleats, after medical examination of a persistent “stinger” injury revealed the possibility of greater neurological damage from future injuries. All three have been valuable parts of the team throughout their tenure, on special teams, on the practice fields, and in the community. We wish Adam, Blake, and Jamie nothing but the best, and pray for both their recovery and for them to find a way to continue to be involved with the scarlet and gray.
- Video Evidence- Friday also saw the charges against Bradley Roby reduced to a class B misdemeanor, after security footage from the bar in Bloomington clarified the events in question. According to the initial story, Roby pushed/punched a bouncer after leaving the venue and trying to return; video showed that he was actually roughly escorted from the premises and then shoved several times by the security staff before “lunging” at one of them. It was at this time that he was accosted and handcuffed. Interestingly enough, the initial police reports indicated that there was no footage available… Hoosiers, man. At any rate, it looks as if this will be deferred to a Diversion program.
- But… On Saturday, Coach Meyer announced that Roby was suspended for the Buffalo game and perhaps further, dependent upon his meeting certain expectations.
- In Rod We… Whoops- As we alluded to in Wednesday’s SBP, Rod Smith will also miss the Buffalo game, one that he was slated to start following Carlos Hyde’s suspension. Smith, we’re told, is being punished for a violation of team rules that occurred in January or February.
- By Committee- Which means that, by default, the Running Back depth chart for Buffalo will be- Jordan Hall, Brionte Dunn, Warren Ball, and Ezekiel Elliott. Given that Dontre Wilson also plays a part in the teams running game, Marcus Hartman sums up the state of affairs nicely:
- For Those Of You Keeping Score At Home- The “suspension count” is as follows: Carlos Hyde (3 games min), Bradley Roby (1 game min), Rod Smith (1 game), Najee Murray (unknown), Marcus Baugh (unknown). Two starting running backs and an All-American corner. Yup, Urban is sure lax on discipline… wonder if he’ll let the team vote on anyone’s punishment?
- Movin’ Day- A couple of positional notes, as JT Moore (TE) and Billy Price (C/OG) move from the warm embrace of Coach Vrable’s defensive line to Coach Warriner’s Legion of Doom. The LoD will be anchored on the right side by Taylor Decker, who’s wowed during spring camp.
- Getting Defensive- Ryan Shazier ran a 4.35; 5 B1G Quarterbacks have filed for restraining orders. Joe Burger was running with the first team defense on Saturday, and not Josh Perry, which was a bit of a surprise. Noah Spence is up from 227 to 255, and is a bad man.
- Offensive Notes- Braxton’s leadership continues to draw praise from players and coaches alike. Devin Smith has really stepped up, and was MVP of today’s scrimmage.
- “Newest” Buckeyes- Here’s who’s lost their black stripes as of today: Joe Ramstetter, Dontre Wilson, Mike Mitchell, Ezekiel Elliott, Joey Bosa, Cam Burrows, Aaron Mawhirter, Billy Price, and Michael Hill. The rookies have started a cool new tradition- they’re taking the stripes (once removed), and linking them into a chain to indicate their connection to each other.
- Who Does Number Two Work For? Well, if you believe Patrick, it works for Ohio State, who find themselves in that slot in the first AP poll of the season.