The Buckeyes brought back a big road win from California but let’s see how many of our wishes came true:
- Run the Ball – Cal is giving up 5.75 YPC. And it will keep Cal below their 90-95 plays per game target. The Bucks averaged 6.0 YPC but Cal still hit their target
- Pressure on their QB – Come at Goff via stunts, blitzes, whatever. They want to throw and we should break them of this habit. 3 Sacks, an Interception, and a fumble…..I’d say misson accomplished.
- Mix Up Play Calling with Play Action – Cal’s D is young and relatively inexperienced. They can be had; let’s have them. Could have seen a little more in my opinion
- No Injuries – A couple of scares but nothing to major.
- A Win – Check!
- Poll Rising – Score 60-70 points so we stop falling in the polls. 52 Points….and the polls stay the same.
- Ball Control – Want to see what ball control offense really looks like prior to Hyde returning. Feed Hall/Wilson/Smith/Ball the rock. Pass when we need to. Even thought Cal hit their target of offensive plays….I felt like we controlled the ball well.
- Electricity – Simple. Electrify and quiet the stadium at the same time with a KO return for TD by Wilson. No KO return but I’d say 90 yards foor a touchdown on the second play will do the trick.
- QB Controversy? – Even if Braxton is healthy. We may have a QB semi-controversy Kenny G deserves playing time but maybe not at the expense of a rolling O under Braxton’s command. If they stumble a little lets see what Kenny does. He’s earned it. Let the controversy begin!
Second Play. Six Points
- Tackling – I’ve said it that past two weeks and I’m going to keep saying it until I see good, fundamental tackling from the defense for an entire game. Missed tackles and the inablility to drive the ball carrier backwards is still a concern.
- Solid Start to the Game – This is the first road game of the season and we feature a lot of youth among the starters, namely on the defense. It is very important that they avoid any nerves and get the game off to a solid start to take the Cal crowd out of the game. 3 possesions and 3 TD’s to start…..pretty darn good if I say so myself.
- TBDBITL Showing Cal Fans How it is Done – The football players aren’t the only ones traveling across country for this game and I want to see TBDBITL show those Cal fans how marching bands can get fame for doing something other than interrupting a play on the field. TBDBITL just being TBDBITL
- No False Starts – 2 false starts….sorry Mali.
- No False Starts – See Number 1
- No False Starts – See Number 2
- No False Starts – See Number 3
- Pressure on the QB – Introduce the rookie to the SilverBullets At least you got this one right Mali!
- Protection for the QB - Cal got some pressure last year and against Northwestern. If it’s Braxton or Kenny G, be smart up front. 2 in a row correctly Mali….maybe you should quit while you’re ahead!
- Consistent Offense – This team is capable of moving the ball on any team in the country. Let’s see them start to prove that by limiting the offensive mistakes and advancing the ball regardless of the quarter. A bit of a drop off in the middle but all in all pretty consistent here.
- Solid Assignment Defense – The D needs to be on top of things against Cal’s offense. Stick to the assignment, wrap up, and make good tackles. Still too many missed tackles and too many points but I felt that there was improvement here.
- No Turnovers – Seriously. Cut it out. Almost got this one right with only one!
- XBrax360 – I’d like to see him take the field again. Smooth Jazz is a great QB, and I’ll be ecstatic to root for him, but the offense doesn’t quite click the same way without Braxton. No Brax….no Problem.
- Dominant Performance on Defense – 3 turnovers and a shutout. Only 2 and gave up 34.
- 100 Yards and a Cloud of Dust – Another 100 yrd rusher and a 100 yard receiver. Hall runs for 168 and Smith goes for 149 on the recieving end.
- Stop the Stupid Penalties – Marcus Hall was a one man penalty machine last week. Clean it up. 7 penalties and there were some big ones too!
- More Backs – Just like we saw a couple more receivers emerge, I’d like to see a couple more running backs emerge as well this week. 4 different backs get touches and 7 different players with receptions.
- Keep the Pace – Would love to see plenty of experience built up on the defensive line, due to the 100 plays called by the Cal offense. Kept the pace and then some!
- Kenny G Time – Let Guiton shine. There’s no reason to start Braxton this week if he isn’t 110% healthy. Guiton has a complete grasp of this offense. Smooth Jazz showing off his legs and arm in this one!
- Over at Half – Sonny Dykes said this week that this game could be over by halftime if his team continues to struggle on defense. I would love to see this come to fruition. Sorry…still a game all the way to the end.
Best Damn Fans In The Land
- Tackling – Some of you have already said it, and it is a must. Open field tackling has to be solid. No looking for the big hit or lunging. Head up, wrap, bring your feet. I think we’ve addressed this enough this week.
- Quick Start – It’s a cross country road game. Come out focused and hit them hard early. Definitely accomplished!
- Turnovers- Don’t commit them, force them. 2-1 ratio in the Bucks favor.
- Don’t Feed the Bears – Squash any momentum or excitement that stadium has early on and keep the pedal to metal! I felt the offense did a pretty good job off holding up their end of this wish but the defense………..
Check in next Friday as our staff makes some more wishes for the Bucks’ game against Floride A & M.