The Buckeyes survived a scare from Iowa in a 34-24 victory, but did our wishes survive?
- Run Stopper - Iowa averages >200 yards rushing per game, 104 by Mark Weisman. We need to commit to shutting down Iowa’s running game. Because.. 130 yards total and Weisman held to 52
- Hello Secondary - Iowa’s sophomore QB, Jake Rudock is capable (200 YPG) but is also capable of throwing interceptions (1 per game). We need to force him to throw and make the ensuing mistakes. I wan to see him up to 40-45 attempts on Saturday afternoon. You nailed this one Ken…..245 yards total and an interception.
- A Special Score - A Special teams and/or defensive TD. I would prefer both, but will take either/or. Not this time Ken.
- No injuries – Another good game from an injury perpsective
- A Win – Scary….but we got it.
- Suckers - Buckeyes to run a fake punt. Hawkeyes are sucker for it. Hard to fake one when you never lined up for one.
- No Passing Allowed - Fewer than 200 passing yards allowed. Sorry….245 yards for Rudock.
- Spread ‘em - lets see the offense spread, like Urban promised. Still think we are witing on this one.
- Zero punts – I thought this was a long shot but you got this one right Scott!
- Zero field goals – Not so good on this one though..
- The G-Man - Kenny G – Still not hearing the music.
- Improved pass defense - Although Iowa doesn’t pose a great threat through the air, I want to see improvement for when Mr Hackenburg and Mr Robinson some a calling in two weeks. – Bye week didn’t seem to help our pass defense.
- Passion - Braxton play with some passion and fire. He seemed uninspired to say the least in the first half at Northwestern. Zero turnovers and better reads is a must.Definitely a better Braxton. 324 all-purpose yards and zero turnovers.
- The Horse - Carlos Hyde about 20 times. I’d love to see the numbers if El Guapo had played the first 3 weeks of the season. 24 rushes for 149 yards! Love that horse!
- A Blowout - The Bucks need one. It’s time to start getting these “style points”. The only style here was an ugly style.
- Better pass coverage - the secondary hasn’t had a great showing for the past two games, I want to see some evidence that they put the bye week to good use. Again…the bye week did no good here.
- Bounce back by Braxton - the Northwestern game was obviously not his best performance, I want to see him play with more confidence, take better care of the ball, and make better decisions. Bounced back and in a big way!
- Get off to a fast start - OSU certainly didn’t do this against Northwestern and bye weeks can sometimes make teams rusty. Didn’t get that fast start….but surely got the strong finish.
- Wilson Hall - Take the opportunity to get Hall and Wilson back in the mix. I believe well need them down the stretch to keep teams guessing what were going to do. Iowa will load up to stop Hyde. Minimal carries for both guys but Wilson ended up with 16 yards and Hall had 11.
- Keys - Give Braxton the keys to the car. He’s looked tentative at times when it’s a calls pass play because he’s wanting it to work. Sometimes it isn’t. If second level isn’t there he should go. He can be the most dynamic runner in college football. Braxton took the keys and hopefully will keep the car running!
- Shoutout - I want to see this defense pitch a shutout. FAMU was easy, Iowa should be a team ripe for this D to go off and most especially Tommy Schutt. Turn them loose and let there be NO question who’s the best D Unfortunately…..not even close on this one.
- Stop the Run - If you can force sophomore quarterback Jake Rudock to put the balance of the game into his own hands, the defense is doing something right. Defense did what they were asked of here but Rudock also did what was asked of him.
- Stop Weisman - More of the same, but we saw what Michigan State did to Iowa this weekend by stopping their star runner. 52 yards will definitely put a dampen on Weisman’s season totals.
- Burn Em on Special Teams - Strong field position on returns early and often are a key to an easy victory at home. Pretty boring game from a special teams stand point.
- Strong Second Half - It’s not how you start, but how you finish (twss). All I can say is….thank goodness for the second half after that first hale performance.
- No False Starts - Been off a week, so you might have some jumpiness stored up. Ignore that, and focus! This one was doomed even before the half way point of the first quarter.
- Run To Daylight - Iowa hasn’t given up a rushing touchdown all year. Time to change that. Considered it changed….twice.
- No Heisman For Weisman - He’s their best weapon; control him the way Wisconsin and Northwestern’s running backs were kept in check. If he wins it….it won’t be because of this game.
- Tighten Up - Iowa has great tight ends, and gets them involved in play action. Let’s see our safeties and linebackers take care of business, and our defensive front put excellent pressure on Rudock. An 85 yard TD pass to Duzey destroyed any hopes of this coming true.
- Ignite The Inferno- If you’re headed to the game, be sure to give the Buckeyes a Home Field Advantage. Ohio State crowds are some of the best, as we saw against Wisconsin and even at Cal and Northwestern. Make The ‘Shoe a place where other teams’ dreams go to die. May have been my TV but I thought the crowd could have done more.
Come back Friday morning to see our hopes and wishes for the Penn State game.