After a thrilling 31-24 win over the Badgers, let’s how many wishes came true:
- No False Starts – Seems to work when I ask for it, so here we go. – You shouldn’t have said anything!!!!!
- Curtis Grant – Coach Meyer called him out on Monday and Tuesday; this game is primed for him. – 3 unassisted tackles and 4 assited….decent showing.
- Aerial Assault – Last year, Wisconsin cheated their safeties into the box and dared Ohio State to beat them over the top. This year, we have the weapons to do so… make them pay. – It was a balanced attack from the air and the ground this night!
- Speed Kills – Even Wisconsin’s Coach Anderson highlighted how fast Ohio State is on both sides of the ball. This is where they show why speed matters – Coach Anderson nailed this one!
- More ZKL – For a lot of reasons… get the kid the rock. – No Ezekiel this time round!
- Another fast start - OSU needs to come out fast, as we usually do. Saturday night’s crowd should be raucous; give the crowd even more reason to get into the game. – Is a 4 play, 1:07, TD drive fast enough Ken?
- Sure tackling - Wisky running backs are averaging 8 YPC. This cannot be allowed on Saturday.- The best looking tackles I have seen all year!
- Solid pass defense - Jared Abbrederis is averaging 16 yards per reception and one third of team receptions. We need to blanket this guy, and blanket their QB Joel Stave. – Abbrederis’ 207 yards showed why this kid is a STUD receiver!
- Offensive Balance - The Buckeyes have shown they can run and pass fairly effectively. We need this to keep Wisconsin defense from loading up against the run. – 192 rushing and 198 passing…pretty goood balance there.
- Special Teams/Defensive TD - I’ll take either/or, but would prefer to have one of each. We’ve done well with those against Wisky in the past. – Another strikeout here.
Jet Sweep, Grounded
- Home field advantage – Fans need to be there early and stay late, regardless of how badly we are winning. Be loud. – I couldn’t hear myself speak inside the stadium….that should tell you how loud it was.
- Be physical – Dominate the line on both sides. – Stopped the run and a couple of sacks…room for improvement.
- At least one defensive/special teams score. – Sorry…..no scores this time.
- A few new wrinkles. – Apparently Meyer has found some anti-wrinkle cream that he is using.
“Juice” = Red Bull?
- Stop the Run -Only key to keeping Wisconsin off the board. – They average over 300 yards but barely get 100….job well done men!
- Fast start - Get on the board often and early. Make Wisconsin have to throw the ball. – First drive equals a TD….so far so good Patrick.
- Contain Jarred Abbrederis - This guy seems to find a way to hurt the Bucks every year. – Jarred got 200+ yards……..You couldn’t be perfect Patrick.
- Strong pass rush – Get to the QB! Period! – 2 sacks and plenty of pressure…..3 out of 4 isn’t too shabby!
- No dumb penalties - So far they’ve been able to overcome the dumb false starts and personal fouls. None on Saturday! – This is probably a re-occurring theme this year.
- Rowdy crowd – The crowd needs to get there early and be loud! – Check!
- The “W” and that isn’t for Wisconsin – In the grand scheme of things, a W is the only thing that matters. I want to see us really do what is needed to win this game which is ball control — Carlos Hyde eat the clock type of offense. Let him get his first 100 yard game but get one for Jordan Hall too. – At least you the “W”
- Defense -This young defense has had some time to grow in the first four games but they really need a test and they’ll get it with Whiskey. The D-line and LBs will have to step up and force the Badgers to throw the ball. Hopefully Washington is back so we can have a deep rotation at the ends. – The defense looked great with the exception of Abbrederis.
- A “Special” Team - Special teams has to be very special on Saturday night. Punting, kicking and the return teams have got to have their best game so far. A return for TD would be electric on a night where it could be the last team with the ball wins. – Not so special on this night.
- On Wisconsin’s Tail - Tough nosed ear pinned back defense against the run. We need it this week. – They shut the running game down.
- Establish Intensity - This is a rivalry. There is no reason the Bucks can’t jump out to a strong lead early, or at least keep themselves from battling back late in the game. – Opening drive touchdown set the tone for the evening
- Sound of Music – Here’s to hoping Kenny G is used to compliment Braxton Miller in this game, just so he can get a feel for live football again without too much pressure. – No Kenny G
- Big Play Machines – Against Wisconsin, It’s all about the Big Play. I love watching tears made of Badger Milk, as OSU lights up the scoreboard. Here’s to 4 or 5 big time plays. – Definitely the theme of the night…no reall long drives by the Bucks.
- Tackling - Wisconsin’s power running game is scary, OSU cannot afford to miss tackles. – For the first time this year, this didn’t seem like an issue!
- Get out to an early lead - Wisconsin is best when they run the ball, getting out to an early lead will force them to pass more and while Stave can throw, the Badgers are far more dangerous on the ground. – Mission Accomplished
- Smart play - Wisconsin is the toughest team OSU has faced so far this season and the Buckeyes cannot afford to commit stupid mistakes/penalties. – Stupid penalties were relevant once again and Braxton has to make smarter decision when outside the pocket.
- Don’t get rattled – Wisconsin will come up with a couple big plays, the team needs to keep it’s confidence and focus on executing the game plan. – Wisconsin didn’t back down, but neither did the Bucks.
- Badgering the Badgers – The offense and defense all over the field, all over the Badgers, and all the time! – Wasn’t exactly what I had in mind, but it got the job done!
Next week the Buckeyes travel to face the pesky Wildcats of Northwestern. Check back later this week to see what our experts think.