Good-bye to the Bye, hello to the Hawkeyes!!
- Clair Plays Press Coverage-Urban Meyer’s Press Conference Monday afternoon was filled with levity and vital information to the starving media and fans after a long bye week.
The One Weisman
It’s all fun and games until someone loses to Iowa- This national championship talk is moot until every regular season game is played. Iowa defense is “Stout” to quote Coach Urban Meyer. With all but one returning corner backs, Iowa’s secondary is a cohesive bunch. The Iowa defense is also a top 10 scoring defense at the moment. Ball security will be a must especially if the Buckeyes plan to run the ball as much as they did vs Northwestern.
- Bye Week Bonus- Urban Meyer’s team traditionally perform well after a bye week. I think this speaks to his ability to prepare his teams, not just physically but mentally. Iowa would be a very easy let down trap after two big ranked opponent prime time wins. As fans we hope Urban can carry on the tradition of domination with time to prepare.
- El Guapo to hit 1k- Carlos Hyde is on pace to reach 1000 yards rushing this year. Surprisingly Urban Meyer has never had a running back rush for 1000 yards on any of his teams. It was pointed out however that he has had a quarterback achieve this milestone. After threatening to leave the press conference (jokingly) Meyer confirmed Braxton Miller has been his only 1000 yards rusher.
- Navigating Gingerly- Did anyone else think Braxton Miller was playing on egg shells during his start against Northwestern? Because what I saw out of Braxton Miller in Evanston will get that knee re-injured if he chooses that path again. I hate to watch a young man so athletically gifted, hesitate, and think too much during crucial moments. Braxton looked like he was still carrying around a thought in his knee although Coach Meyer confirmed Miller is indeed 100% no question ready and healed up for his start against Iowa.
- Identity Crisis- As much as Coach Meyer maligns talk of streaks, bowl games or the dreaded BCS questions are starting to populate about post season play. Coach Meyer is smart enough not to give any team ammunition against the Buckeyes by speaking out of turn past this weeks opponent, yet he is still a brilliant politician. Coach Meyers staff took the opportunity during the bye week to recruit heavily and prepare the current Buckeye team physically for Iowa. in Monday’s press conference Coach Meyer admitted he took a peek at a few games on his iPAD during his daughters volleyball game.
- Shut out- The questions that are floating around the national scene are centered around an unbeaten Ohio State getting shut out of a BCS title game. If the BCS and the NCAA have proven anything over the last few years, it’s that they are motivated by money. Buckeye fans are notorious for traveling well, to any distance to support their team. I have a very hard time believing any one loss team would leap frog an undefeated Ohio State team with a high profile fan base, coach and longest winning streak in the country.