Sparty shocked Buckeye Nation by sending the Buckeyes to the Orange Bowl. Let’s see what they did to our wishes:
- Offense – Mistake-free (turnovers/penalties) game. MSU brings as good a defense as you’ll find; points will be hard to come by. No turnovers but 5 penalties for 62 yards.
- Offense (again) - An efficient passing day from Brax & his receivers. If OSU is forced to go one dimensional against MSU, trouble looms. 8 for 23 iis hardly efficient.
- Defense – Please, no missed tackles. Too many for the offense to overcome this time!
- Defense (again) - Pressure MSU’s QB; sacks, hits, pressure, I don’t care, just get to him. Only 2 sacks.
- No injuries You and the injury request!
- A WIN! Sorry Ken……not on this day!
- A win Sorry Scott…….getting Oranges instead of Roses this New Year’s!
- No turnovers – Don’t help them. They accomplished this!
- Solid defense - Spartan offense is inconsistent. Good defense will be sufficient. No where close to solid and it cost the Buckeyes big this time!
- CARLOS CARLOS CARLOS - I know I know. I’m a broken record but is anybody really paying attention to what he’s doing in an abbreviated season? This is HIS team. He’s taken it. Let him and the line prove it against the best rushing D. 100+ a game continues. Carlos had 118 but he can’t play defense too!
- DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS??? It’s not high powered but the D cannot make their QB better than he is. I want to see a swarming D like we saw Saturday for a short while. This defense surely can’t win championships!
- OFFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! This offense is obliterating the records of the former best two from ’98 and ’95 and needs to expose the lack of talent on the Sparty D. Might have to actually go away from the power running game up the gut to do so. That’s where Sparty is VERY good. The offense had to on this day but came up a little short!
- SPECIAL TEAMS - They’ve been quiet for a few weeks save for the leg of the Aussie punter. Need a huge play by someone. Jordan Hall is due. Nothing special on this day!
- Non-Offensive Score- I firmly believe that if Ohio State gets a pick-6 or a special teams touchdown, they will win the game. Take some of the pressure off of the offense with a spectacular play Could have used this in a big way!
- Two In A Row? We didn’t have any “you know whats” in last week’s game… I love repetition. Not this time.
- Silence The Doubters- Whether it’s the tarnish on the Silver Bullets or the two offensive players who got an early exit in Ann Arbor, a lot of folks have something to prove over and above the usual expectations. Play at a high level, gentlemen. The offense played well but couldn’t make up for the lack luster defense!
- The Air In There- A lot of criticism of Braxton’s passing against Illinois and the Wolverines- his ability to work the underneath routes to the tight ends and slot receivers will open up a lot of the Buckeye offense in Indy. Not much passing to talk about but plenty of rushing!
- Do Your Job- When Ohio State’s defense has had mental lapses on defense, it’s often been due to players trying to do too much. Remember your assignments, get in the right position, and make the play. Rinse and repeat. Well they repeated…..repeated the performance from the week before
- Defense show up – National stage and all kinds of questions. SEC game will be over by 8 and all eyes will be on OSU. Everyone knows about the offense, time for the D to show up. No Call….no show……you’re fired!
- Carlos Hyde - 25 -30 carries. Wear the defense out. You don’t have to play for a month, ride the big fellow. Only 18 carries!
- Flawless execution on offense – No more of these crappy under/over throws and stupid penalties. Decent……but not flawless!
- Thrashing – An outright thrashing of MSU. Period! Not really a thrashing unless you call what MSU’s offense did to our defense!
- No mistakes on offense - MSU’s defense is by far the best we’ve faced all season and we can’t afford to make any mistakes as they will take advantage of it. Penalties and incomplete passes are mistakes, right?
- Give Hyde the ball - MSU’s secondary is very good but Nebraska showed that you can pick up yards on the ground up the middle so give Hyde the ball and let him do what he does best. They did….18 times!
- Use play action to keep MSU honest - After establishing Hyde, mix in some play action to take advantage of the Spartan defense keying on the run. Didn’t seem to help but could have been used more!
- Defense showing up – MSU’s offense hasn’t set the world on fire this season, mostly alternating between anemic and pretty good; of course the OSU defense has also been inconsistent as well. The Buckeyes need a solid defensive effort in this one as MSU will keep the OSU offense below its normal numbers. Think we have beaten this horse!
- Be ready for the trick play – We all know that Dantonio has one coming. That pooch kick was about as tricky as he got!
- Carlos Hyde to 3000 - He only need 33 yards to get there for his career, but I’m excited to see what he can do against this State Front Line. Definitely a bright point to this grim night!
- Pass Attack – Would like to see well over 250 yards in the air to pressure this State D. Only 149 yards short!
- Defend the Trick Play – What does Marky Mark have up his sleeve this time? Who knows — but let’s contain it! The pooch baby!
Well Pasadena isn’t happening but we still got the Orange Bowl! Bring it on Clemson!