Big Dance Wide Open

Written March 16th, 2014 by Scott

The decisions have been made.

The picks are in.

It’s anybody’s NCAA Tournament.

Really.

Ohio State has a tough, but winnable draw.

OSU is the No. 6 seed in the South and will play the Dayton Flyers, who many thought would be in the First Four, in Buffalo.

The Flyers made it without having to play in the extra game.

The winner gets a very beatable Syracuse in its own backyard.

The Big Ten got interesting draws. In addition to OSU having to play a hungry Dayton team, Wisconsin could get Oregon, with five scorers, in the third round.

Nebraska gets Baylor in the second round and then Creighton in the third round. Brutal. A CBS guy was already talking about Baylor-Creighton in third round.

Michigan got a No. 2 seed in the Midwest when many had TTUN as a No. 1. The Wolverines get two easy games, Wofford and then the winner of Texas-Arizona State.

Iowa got stuck in a First Four game against Tennessee and will play No. 6 UMass with a win. Most projections had Iowa in cleanly, meaning no First Four.

Michigan State gets a No. 4 seed and plays Delaware in Spokane and then either Cincinnati or Harvard in the third round.

The Midwest is loaded. Louisville, Wichita State, Kentucky, Michigan, Duke. Three of last year’s Final Four Teams. Holy stacked bracket, Batman.

Wow!

Stay tuned.

March 16th, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Ouch, Buckeyes in a pretty tough Region.

2. wildman1056No Gravatar
    March 16th, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I still don’t know who Florida plays that is any good. Didn’t they lose to Wisconsin? If I were any of these teams, I wouldn’t want to play Ohio State. Of course, if I were Ohio State, I wouldn’t want to play any of these teams. Ohio State can beat anyone or lose to anyone.

March 16th, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Yeah, but SEC! SEC! SEC!!!

3. RyanNo Gravatar
    March 17th, 2014 at 7:25 am

In our bracket, I’ve got Cuse in the Final Four. Kansas hasn’t proven anything to me yet, and Florida’s only win against a ‘good’ team this year is Kansas.

RyanNo Gravatar
    March 17th, 2014 at 7:44 am

And another thing, how is Kansas’ 9 loses so much better than our 9 losses? Yes they had a win and a loss against Duke and Florida OOC, but their conference also isn’t quite as tough as the Big Ten. I’d give them a slight edge on SOS, but not enough for a 2 over a 6. Cuse is by far the better team.
    It’s amazing how 3 of the 4 1 seeds played basically no one to get there.

March 17th, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Kansas/Iowa State/Oklahoma State are about equal to Michigan/Michigan State/Wisconsin in my mind.

Kansas didn’t lose to Penn State, though….

March 17th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

yeah, those are ‘bad’ losses.

4. RyanNo Gravatar
    March 17th, 2014 at 7:40 am

Analyzing the other brackets I see that MSU, ttun and Wisky all have a good shot to make it to the final 4.

MSU could have a tough one against UNC and UVa, but I think the Spartans are the best of the big ten, and COULD beat both of them.

ttun has to get past a Duke team that is always tough, but always seems to fold, and then probably a Louisville that isn’t nearly as tough as last year, and could have McGary back for the game.

I think Wisky is the best team in their bracket, but their are 3 teams that could easily beat them with a good game. Definitely the easiest bracket. Zona played in a weak Pac-12, and they didn’t have a single ranked team on their schedule, ZERO ranked teams. Plus SDSU and Oklahoma as 4 and 5. I think that bracket will be decided when Baylor plays Wisky.