How ’bout a little weekend “catch up” of all the news and notes? Since it’s a Sunday, we’ve got to choose our soundtrack wisely- something sacred, perhaps.
- Prendere i miei talenti a- A thousand apologies to those loyal readers who actually speak Italian; that’s what Google Translate gave me as a lead in for the Floppy Haired Mayhem’s exodus from Columbus and a return to Italy for a pro hoops career. Announced via his twitter account on Saturday and confirmed by the University, Amadeo Della Valle will be a professional basketball player sooner than later, and is reportedly going to make pretty good cash while the rest of this year’s college players are still waiting for their names to be called on draft day. Look, I’ve heard of celebrities swearing they’d leave the United States if their candidate didn’t win the presidency, but this is the first time that I’m aware of an actual candidate choosing to make the same commitment. Best wishes and happy shooting, Amadeo!
- Let’s Just Hope- Jim Tressel doesn’t take the same route should his presidential campaign not be successful.
- Ross Next? According to insiders, LaQuinton Ross will be meeting with Thad Matta on Monday to let him know that he will also be leaving Ohio State early. This had always been the plan, particularly given the additional responsibilities and family commitments that “Q” has; it’s just a shame that he didn’t have that huge season to help his draft stock.
- Champion, Times Three- Ohio State’s Logan Steiber won his third consecutive NCAA title on Saturday, becoming the first Buckeye to do so in wrestling. He did so one weight class above his prior two; it’ll be interesting to see where he chooses to compete for his senior season.
- Mat Men- Senior Nick Heflin finished as a national runner up in OKC, after losing points due to a controversial stalling call AND missing takedown points at the end of the match by hundreths of a second. A great career, Nick- best wishes for the next part of your journey!
- Buckeye Bridesmaids- After beating #1 seed Minnesota earlier, Ohio State’s men’s hockey team faced Wisconsin for the inaugural B1G Championship title. While they dominated for most of the game, the Buckeyes gave up two quick goals late in the third and lost 5-4 in overtime. This concludes their season, but not hopes for the program, which made huge strides as the year progressed.
- In Thawed Ice- The OSU synchronized swimming team also finished second at nationals on Saturday… eleven places ahead of Michigan.
- Getting Defensive- Over in the WHAC, the defense “won” Saturday’s spring scrimmage and then had the honor of hearing from some true heroes.
- Speedy Recovery- Sounds as if Jalin Marshall’s surgery on Friday went smoothly… looking forward to seeing him in action this July.
- This Week In Make Believe Stories- If you read this article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution, you might catch the following quote from Coach Urban Meyer,
Why should Georgia’s elite 2015 prospects consider Ohio State? “You get a premium education with the opportunity to go compete for a national championship in a large city that really has no professional sports team. There’s a lot to be offered up here.”
So, of course folks decided to make this statement a slight against the Crew and BlueJackets… because, Bianchi. At any rate, we remind you of this:
- Like You’ve Been There Befo…Ah, Screw It- Congrats to the Dayton Flyers, who advanced to the Sweet 16 with an upset of sorts over the Syracuse Orange. And, because winning seems to be a new thing for Flyers Fans, we’ve got super awesome funtimes around campus. We’ll have to go all Antoine Dodson if the Flyers somehow make it to Arlington, won’t we?
- Crude Crew? Since Urban hasn’t connected with Columbus’ Soccer Program, we’d like to point him to the fact that fans really really REALLLLLLLLLY enjoy watching Crew matches. Glory to Columbus, indeed.
- Michigan Man- Taylor Lewan will be charged for his involvement in a fight after UM’s loss to Ohio State last season. Lewan is quoted as saying “that’s not who I am off the field, that’s not the kind of person I am.” Huh. I know at least one Wolverine co-ed that might have a differing opinion.
- Big Fella- Sooners, you can keep your “Bell-dozer”. I’m behind the latest QB sensation, Old Miss’ Jeremy Liggins... who reportedly outweighed three of his linemen at the beginning of spring ball. And by “behind”, I mean “I really don’t want to be in front of him while he’s gaining any momentum whatsover”.
- Michigan Man, Part Deux- Remember those Wolverine fans who were all over Urban Meyer for “only” suspending Carlos Hyde for three games during the fall 2013 season, even though no charges were ever filed against him? And how those three games were cupcakes, and that he should be suspended for games that were more meaningful. Yeah… about that. Although, to be fair, Appy State could be an important matchup.
While they may only get the “technical” or “nerd” Oscars, it’s hard to argue that the special effects folks haven’t significantly shifted the way we even think about motion pictures: