One Fan’s Opinion: Offensive Wish List

Written April 22nd, 2014 by MaliBuckeye

Once again we’re joined by a faithful reader and great Buckeye fan to give us his thoughts on the Ohio State program. Today, Mike checks in with a post spring-practice look at the areas where Ohio State will look find leaders to step up for the 2014 season. See what you think about his look across the offense, and be sure to give him a follow on twitter.

This is what I see the biggest needs are on Offense after the team’s Spring preparations. I will hit on a couple of positions, depth (or lack thereof), and finally I will give you who I think breaks out this year on offense. For the sake of this reflection, I’m not going to address our stable of Running Backs or Tight Ends… Ohio State is an embarrassment of riches at those positions.

Of course, when the fall comes and the rest of the rookies join the program, there may be some changes.

Anchor

Offensive Line:

Our true biggest need is replacing 4 starters on the Offensive Line. We know Decker can play and will start at LT, he has gotten stronger and a potential leader that this offense will surely need especially with such young guys needing to step up. Next up, Pat Elflein who will most likely line up next to Decker and start at LG as he has some experience and proved he can play at this level, maybe not elite but better than average. Then you have Jacoby Boren, who I think will be the starting Center day one. I know what everyone is thinking, what about Billy Price? Well I see Billy Price starting at RG and becoming a dominate player of the next couple years. His mean streak and strength is what every Offensive Lineman (or Defensive Lineman for that matter) should have.

I would have loved to see Kyle Dodson be that starting RT, but unless the light comes on by fall camp, I see him as depth right now (which is a shame due to his talent level) which would open the Door for Evan Lisle to step in at RT. I think this RT battle will continue through spring with one of these two guys as the starter. The one wild card here Kyle Trout (He will be a Tackle) who is enrolled early, if he can get the system down after being in the weight program with Mickey Marotti he could be the real sleeper in this Offensive Line group, in my opinion.

With all this being said, we have some nice freshman coming in who will provide some much needed depth. This is my biggest concern on the Offensive side of the ball right now. We need young men to be developed and then they need to “Step-up” and seize the opportunity.

Quarterback:

After evaluating some tape (limited) and watching the Spring Game, for more than obvious reasons Braxton Miller needs to stay healthy. Our backup QB looked average (at best) in the Spring Game. Now I realize Jones and Barrett are young, but it’s time for one of them to step up, embrace the challenge and secure the #2 qb role we have needed over the past couple years. Braxton’s style always scares me due to injuries and now working behind a young/new Offensive Line, back up QB is a position of need.

Catching On?

Wide Receiver:

I was more excited about this position heading into the Spring Game than after. I will say Corey Smith looks like a player but a couple of WR’s really struggled getting separation (let’s hope this was just because of good CB play), catch and hold on to the ball. I seen one really nice catch by Thomas but he was out of bounds. I just think with the lack of consistency and injuries (Marshall will be a stud…IMO) it’s going to open the flood gates for the younger guys to step up and take someone’s job. I cannot end this without mentioning Johnnie Dixon, Jalin Marshall and Curtis Samuel who I think will be special players at tOSU before it’s all said and done. I consider them more of the “Percy” role and boy are they going to be fun to watch.

My Breakout Player:

Jalin Marshall is the guy who if can come back from injury 100% is going to show what some of us already know. He will be a special player here and a true OHIO kid!!!

I would like to Thank BBC for letting me write my 2 cents down for everyone and I hope you enjoy. A special thanks to Chris Hunt for hooking me up with Mali so that I could have this opportunity!

Have a great day and GO BUCKS!!!!!!

1. Craig ThatcherNo Gravatar
    April 22nd, 2014 at 8:54 am

Nice article Mike, You’re right about Billy Price. That kid will be a stud and needs to be out there either at center or guard. It will get real if we get the kid from Alabama, not sure what that will do with Boren…

Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    April 22nd, 2014 at 11:39 am

I appreciate it Craig. Yeah, that would be a potential issue for Boren, with that being said, he will not go down without a fight!!!

2. WVaBuckeyeNo Gravatar
    April 22nd, 2014 at 11:30 am

ho-hum about QB’s my friend? And yes, the items you chose work perfectly into what we really need! GREAT stuff and good points all around!

One question – If Jalin Marshall doesnt make it back after another injury, who do you see as the breakout player?

3. Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    April 22nd, 2014 at 11:37 am

I would put my money on Johnnie Dixon or Curtis Samuel. SPPED, SPEED and more SPEED. Also being there early and getting spring practice reps is HUGE!!

4. EKNo Gravatar
    April 22nd, 2014 at 11:57 am

I think that the best point he makes is that of a “mean streak” needed up front on both sides of the ball. Like most of the people that grew up in Toledo I live in Atlanta now. Look at what being soft up front did to the Falcons last year!
    We agree on Dixon Marshal and Samuel. I cant wait to see who steps up and makes big plays this fall.

5. Joseph PennyNo Gravatar
    April 22nd, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Great read, very informative and to the point. Can definately sense the JUICE, the PASSION and the LOVE for the BUCKEYES. Not a bad job at all Mike. Michigan SUCKS! Go BUCKS!

April 22nd, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Mike, nice job, I appreciate your perspective on the team. I realize the Spring Game was a mish-mash, but what thoughts do you have on the defensive side?

Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    April 23rd, 2014 at 9:06 am

I think our D Line is going to dominate as we will rotate at least 8. I also believe we will see a more aggressive and worthy secondary as well (Chris Ash and Larry Johnson are HUGE additions). With that being said, I am concerned at LB. I believe McMillan, Lee and Perry come out as starters but watch out for Worley pushing Perry out if he does not live up to the hype. We will be young but much more athletic. Overall I have much less concern with the Defense than the Offense. Thanks for the question, I really appreciate the feedback as well.

April 23rd, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Michael.

7. DNo Gravatar
    April 23rd, 2014 at 9:39 am

Good info….I would be interested to get your take on the schedule and how you see the season playing out…also any defensive info. would be fantastic. Very good info.

Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    April 24th, 2014 at 6:38 am

Thanks for the feedback. When I look at the schedule, I think other than the two obvious road games with Penn State and Sparty (both very winnable), the schedule is set up nice for us. It is also huge playing prime time night games. The atmosphere will be rocking as always but this also goes along way in recruiting!!! I also believe IF Braxton can stay healthy, its an undefeated season and a trip to the BIG Champ Game in my opinion.

The Defense will be the rock of this team. I look for them to dominate if we can get some LB play. The D Line will be a tough chore for anyone to handle as we have talent and it’s deep. Look for Larry Johnson (HUGE Hire) to rotate at least 8 D Lineman and then add to fact that Chris Ash (HUGE Hire) is getting more aggressive on the back end with what Coach Ash termed as the best athletes he has ever coached, and that is saying something to me. Look for Conley, Apple and Burrows to get meaningful playing time this year.

Thanks again and I hope this was what you were looking for.