Like the rest of Ohio, we’ve got Stanley Cup fever here… we’re on a series of shots and medications, but to be honest, we hope it sticks around for a while. So, in preparation for tonight’s game, here’s a little something to help you get ready to #BeatPittsburgh.
- The League- Pretty good week for Buckeyes in the NFL, as Cam Heyward’s 5th year option was picked up by the Steelers. This comes one day after Terrelle Pryor was traded from
the outhouse to the penthouse the Raiders to the Super Bowl Champion Seahawks. Rumor across the league were that the 49ers and ‘Hawks were both pursuing Pryor diligently, with Pete Carroll finally winning the day. Good luck in the Emerald City, Terrelle… be sure to pay for your doughnuts, m’kay?
- Next Men Up- NFL news on Tuesday also included Draft Day invitations… and not to the latest Costner flick. Bradley Roby and Ryan Shazier will both be in New York City; here’s hoping that neither win the Brady Quinn Sitting Around By Yourself For A Really Long Time Award.
- Night Moves- Ohio State added a fourth night game and a third one on the 2014 home slate on Tuesday, when the BTN announced that the intra-state tilt against Ohio’s BCS Team would be under the lights in the ‘Shoe. There’s still the possibility that the number could grow- the game in East Lansing might just be pushed into prime time if both the Spartans and Buckeyes have the seasons most are projecting.
- Flippity Flop- Over the weekend, Ohio State “lost” one of their 2015 recruits, as Ben Edwards followed up his “soft verbal” comments to North Carolina by giving his verbal to the Auburn Tigers. As you can imagine, this unleashed the highest in philosophical and intellectual debate among some Ohio State fans… many of whom are way too emotionally invested in the lives of 16-17 year old boys to be healthy. One question, though… Would you as a fan rather that the staff pursue in-state kids that are sure to be 100% Buckeye but may not be the caliber of other recruits, or would you rather that they continue to pursue out of state players who may not end up in Columbus but could make a bigger impact? I look forward to your answer in the comments; be sure to show your work.
- Next Man Out? As if the Edwards news wasn’t discouraging enough, Tuesday’s Canton Repository had the following blurb about one of the other OSU verbals in the 2015 class:
There was a relatively serious altercation involving McKinley quarterback Eric Glover-Williams and another McKinley player during the school day last week at the high school. New McKinley football coach Thom McDaniels declined to comment on the situation, other than to confirm there was an altercation between Glover-Williams and a player who is a senior.
There had been speculation that Glover-Williams had a previous incident in the fall as well, so it’s possible that this could be the issue that costs him his shot at an OSU opportunity. Eleven Warriors has video of the end of the altercation in question, even though it’s in “crappy cell phone quality” it does serve as an interesting Rorschach test for folks to judge what might be the consequences/outcomes for EGW, both from the school and from Ohio State. Stay tuned…
Around The NCAA
And Finally God, I miss MST3K: