Recruiting for the 2015 class is becoming another sequel in “The Fast and The Furious” chain. In my honest opinion, I could see Ohio State at 10-12 commits by the end of July and still be in on the other announcements later down the road.
Here is how I see it playing out:
- The TE that everyone wants and who wants to commit everywhere, Chris Clark, will visit today as being reported. He says he will choose between Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and North Carolina (where he committed earlier this year). He is going to visit each of the schools one more time before announcing at The Opening on July 8th. Let’s hope Urban can close the deal here, but it’s anyone’s guess with this kid.
- The Buckeyes received a verbal commitment from Tyler Green, who earned his offer at camp. He is an impressive physical young man at 6’3″ and 195lbs. I have heard comparisons of Green to Malik Hooker from last year’s class. Green’s upside is huge, and getting a long ranging Safety who tackles and can cover is paramount. He’ shown that ability at this past camp. I always love the recruits that commit to Ohio State because they want to be Buckeyes! The other thing not to be overlooked here is that he attends DeMatha Catholic High in Maryland. DeMatha Catholic is consistently producing top recruits. Getting our foot in the door, with Larry Johnson recruiting that state, is a great thing.
- Now on to the Big Guys in the trenches. By the end of his manic Monday, Grant Schmidt realized he wanted to be a Buckeye and committed to play for Coach Meyer. At 6’6, 275lbs, this is by no means a stretch by the staff here. Schmidt came to camp and showed Meyer’s personnel enough that they took his early commitment on Monday. Schmidt will be the first player from South Dakota to play for Ohio State.
- The Buckeyes also received a commitment from arguably the best long snapper in the country, 6’2″, 230 pounder Liam McCullough is right out of our own back yard of Columbus, Ohio. I am really pleased with this addition, as long snapper is usually an overlooked position that a coach would usually prefer to see a walk-on fill. In my opinion, this position is very important, especially when you can land the number 1 kid! I have seen many games lost by a bad snap.
- That brings me to the first commitment of 2016. George Hill committed to Ohio State on Saturday. This young man is out of Hubbard, Ohio and stands 6’0, 182lbs. He had scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan State and West Virginia. He rushed for almost 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns while sharing duties with 2015, 4-star recruit Larry Scott, who is also holding an Ohio State offer.
- It was announced that 4-star Safety, Rashad Roundtree is visiting Ohio State Monday and Tuesday this week. If Urban pushes here, it could be another very good week for the Buckeyes. Roundtree is a Georgia kid, and Georgia is rumored to be his favorite college destination. However, the Buckeyes could move up the food chain with an awesome visit.
- Lastly, on the recruiting front. Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about Torrance Gibson? I know I am. Whether we take just one quarterback in Joey Burrows or we take two (calling Travis Waller please), I will keep my opinion on Gibson to myself — other than to say, please offer Travis Waller!!
A quick story from Friday night, as my last of four children (Michael Jr.) graduated high school. As we sat and watched the graduation ceremony, my wife looked over and noticed a tear or two running down my cheek.
“It’s so nice to see you get emotional over your son graduating,” she told me. I looked over at her and said, “That is not why I am emotional. After four kids, I am just happy to get paroled!” (Really not totally true, but I thought it was funny)
“Never argue with an idiot, someone walking by cannot tell the difference”.