Braxton Miller’s Senior Season Outlook

Written July 1st, 2014 by MDotySr
Plan the Work, Work the Plan!

Plan the Work, Work the Plan!

In the world of improvement on a year to year basis, last year should have been Braxton Miller’s last season in Columbus. With that being said he should have left with a Heisman Trophy and National Championship (ok at least a B1G Championship). After battling through all sorts of issues earlier in his career like, offensive line and lack of a supporting cast, everything seemed to jell last year. He shared the backfield with one of the toughest running backs in college (Carlos Hyde), he became a better passer (with the exception of not throwing to the TE enough) and really avoided sacks much better, and he owes some credit to the veteran offensive line he had in front of him.  Just because he went forward with his progress in 2013, he need not take a break and work even harder for 2014.

When you evaluate Miller’s tape you will see he no longer takes a sack on one of every five or six attempts, but like so many mobile quarterbacks, he still takes too many. The big questions I would love to have answered is: How will Miller perform with a young offensive line and skill position players? How long did he have his shoulder injury? Where is he at in regards to rehabilitation of that shoulder? Who had the biggest impact on his improvement? I know I will probably never get the answers to those questions, but I’m still curious. It’s so much fun to speculate how well your favorite team/player is going to perform heading into the next season.

As it turns out, the NFL will have to wait on Braxton as in his final year of eligibility Miller returned for his senior season.  Of course a lot of his supporting cast around him is all but gone.  Hyde and top backup Jordan Hall are gone after combining for 2,057 yards (7.1 per carry) and 23 touchdowns; No. 1 receiver Corey Brown and his 72 percent catch rate are also out the door. So are four linemen who combined to start 135 games.

Braxton dives for the Touchdown.

Braxton dives for the Touchdown.

Obviously most of the players around Miller in 2014 will be former 4 and 5 star recruits with worlds of potential, from sophomore running backs Ezekiel Elliott and Warren Ball to the true freshman Curtis Samuel. Then we need to address big-play receiver Devin Smith, to seam-busting tight end Jeff Heuerman (please throw to him more) to countless highly touted freshman to include Johnnie “JD” Dixon and Jalin Marshall (true and redshirt) at the wide receiver position.

The only proven players are now limited to Miller, Smith, Heuerman, and left tackle Taylor Decker. Everybody else has to come in and compete. There will be many battles during camp for all this young speed to impress the coaches with what they can do and how fast they can do it. Don’t get me wrong, I think this young talent is going to surpass most expectations but it will take some patience, chemistry and a lot of hard work.

Miller is a great runner and a nearly perfect toy for Urban Meyer and the Buckeye offense, but the standard has been raised with the progress of last year, and he won’t be able to do it all by himself.

I realize it seems I look through my Ohio State Buckeye Glasses often, but that’s because I refuse to take them off!!

1. PatrickNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 8:40 am

I look for Michael Thomas and Corey Smith to steal the show at wr this year. My only fear is Braxton gets happy feet back there because he doesn’t trust his new O line.

2. Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 8:46 am

I would love to see Thomas step up and be consistent (clock is ticking). I think Smith has the talent but will he take the necessary steps to get there???? I have the same concern with Braxton as you with the happy feet.

Thanks

3. William AlversonNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:06 am

Mike, I think Braxton will come out of his shell and prove that he is Professional Calibre. As with all OSU Quarterbacks, he can only do and show what the coach tells him to show and do. They keep their quarterbacks hands tied until their final year then release them. He is surrounded by rookies but that won’t stop him. Might slow his roll, but it won’t stop his magic. Buckeyes will roll this year. Climb aboard the Buckeye Express, it’s going to be a hell of a ride… O. – H.

Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thanks for the feedback and of course…I-O!!!!!

Mike

4. Jim LindseyNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:09 am

Interesting story Sir. Do you believe Miller has improved enough to put TOSU to that next level?

5. Jim LindseyNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:11 am

Do you believe his supporting cast will be able to mature fast enough?

Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:15 am

Absolutely!!! With the early enrollment of Curtis Samuel and JD Dixon will only help!

Mike

6. Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:12 am

I think he has the potential to lead us to the big dance. With that being said, I just want to see it on the field but the ability is there! It’s all about Hard Work, Commitment and Passion in my opinion so I like his chances.

Mike

7. Jim LindseyNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:17 am

Do you believe Miller will get most his help from Elliott or a committee?

Michael Doty SrNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:23 am

As the starting RB, his help will be much needed and expected. I also believe he will need some committee members though….LOL

Mike

8. Jim LindseyNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:24 am

I also agree with you on the fact that Miller is taking less sacks and making more reads in the pocket. I also agree that we (he) needs to pick up his TE/S more which means better blocking from the backs in that situation. Something that was not so good last year.

MDotySrNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:28 am

Yes Sir. I think utilizing the TE could be one of the Buckeyes biggest advantage…..you know it would surprise the hell out of who ever the Buckeyes are playing…LOL

Mike

9. Jim LindseyNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 10:22 am

Marcus Baugh on a wheel route!

MDotySrNo Gravatar
    July 1st, 2014 at 10:40 am

Yeah Man. Let’s just hope he can keep his wheels on the road….LOL