We lost a great one on Monday, and another iconic figure on Tuesday. Today’s soundtrack hopes that these guys are both on a better path, if you can dig it.
- Birthday Wishes- Belated, sure, but happy birthday to Aaron Craft and Michael Bennett… I’d love to be a fly on the wall for a combined party for those guys.
- They Can’t Thrive at 55- Interesting article in Tuesday’s CPD, talking about Ohio State’s numbers problem with injuries, transfers, redshirts, etc. And they still couldn’t get Mike Mitchell on the field? *sigh*
- Combined Excellence- The “big show” in Indy this past week saw the Scarlet and Gray represented well. Ryan Shazier set the bar (at a heavier weight) for the vertical jump, and Bradley Roby ran a sizzling 4.39 40 yard dash. Carlos Hyde struggled in the lifting measures and pulled a hamstring on his 40, Corey Brown’s unofficial 4.37 40 was exciting for Ohio State fans to watch, and Corey Linsley managed 36 reps on the bench test, which was among the best at his position.
- More Roby- B-Rad made news earlier in the week when he acknowledged not working as hard during his early season suspension, which cost him on the field (in his opinion). He also talked some about his belief that football players at major programs should see financial compensation, and compared his last two seasons to being an NFL-like experience.
- Gettin’ Paid- Along those same lines, several former Buckeyes weighed in on the idea of college players getting compensated. Kirk Herbstreit spoke about the immeasurable intangibles of an Ohio State/College experience, while Robert Smith and Joey Galloway took positions that seemed to support the players’ cause. Our friend Jeff Svoboda also got Urban Meyer’s take on the matter... really interesting reading, given where this seems to be headed.
- REALLY Gettin’ Paid- All of these comments were part of the Buckeye Cruise For Cancer, which managed to raise $1.5 million for a number of cancer-related charities and arenas at Ohio State. Given the amount of pasty white midwesterners on a cruise ship that we’re talking about, I’m hoping that research for squamous cell carcinoma will also be addressed. “$1.5 mill? That’s cute.” say PSU’s amazing Thon students…
- Gettin’ Ray’d- Oh, Ray… we had such higher hopes for you. Well, maybe “higher” was a poor choice of verbiage there.
- Friday Night Lights? While Ohio State hasn’t weighed in as of yet, the conference’s leadership is exploring football on Friday Nights in the future. I hate it, and hope that it never happens, but I understand it: more programs need exposure, BTN needs content. The problem, as I see it, is that this continues to push fans toward television as their primary resource for the sport at a time where attendance is waning and Universities need butts in the seats to pay the bills.
- Dy-NASTY! Quick, what Ohio State team has not lost a conference contest in nine years? Yup, your NCAA Indoor Champion Tennis program… that’s a lot of net-jumping.
- The BEST Damn Band In The Land Lends A Hand- If you’re most known for this, you’ve got to appreciate the help of the folks known for this: Read More