Well, it’s certainly been an… interesting… day as far as news goes. But before we dive into the dregs of college sports (and those who “oversee” it), let’s enjoy the fact that it’s finally FOOTBAW! season. Here’s your “pump up”/palate cleanser before the season kicks off.
- Captains, My Captains- Well, the news yesterday that Ohio State had named eight captains to start the season surely made Tom Bradford happy, although it did make the position seem a bit like the “everyone gets a trophy” phenomenon we see in youth soccer. My guess? Urban is looking to “spread the wealth” among several people since there’s no small group of standouts this season. At any rate, I’m ecstatic that Kenny Guiton will be getting the opportunity to lead, even as a “backup”. Smooth Jazz for everyone.
- Wash It Down With Juice- Today, many lucky souls in the media got to experience the new food that will be enjoyed at the ‘Shoe this season. As you remember, the University ended their contract with Sodexho and is going a bit more local with Levy Restaurants for their fan- fare. Marcus Hartman has great coverage of the reason that I hated him all day on Tuesday… wonder what this will mean for the fitness of the two ushers on our staff? Luckily we have a fitness guru to keep them in shape.
- Injury Report- Coach Meyer said on Wednesday that Defensive Lineman Tommy Schutt will miss 6-8 weeks with a broken foot; “Mr. Adaptability” Chase Farris will return to the Defensive Front from his tenure with Coach Warriner. Schutt had been working in with the first team as practice progressed this fall- here’s wishing him a quick recovery.
- Sure, Why Not? Ohio State has 8 captains, why not 10 “Assistant Head Coaches”? Stan Drayton was elevated to that role over the past month due to his investment in the program… and he certainly deserves it.
- BULLetin Board Material- Sure, it’s just a fansite (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but here’s a “hate piece” from The State College Of New York At Buffalo fans.
- Thinking Healthy- A couple of other wellness stories this week: The Dispatch had a great discussion about the concussion debate, and talked at length with Andrew Sweat about his decision to walk away from football due to the issue. Also, Maurice Clarett was in Columbus again to advocate for expanded health care and mental health support. Nice work, folks.
- Welcome To The Interwebs- Coach Meyer must have heard that Ken was finally on twitter, since he decided to join him this week. Also online? Ohio State announced their official YouTube Channel, which brings us awesomeness of this nature: Read More