Well, given the news today in college sports and elsewhere, I think I’ve got a couple of soundtrack offerings that will draw it all together. Stay warm people!! (it’s supposed to be down to the 60s in Los Angeles today… brrrrrrr.)
Squirtgun In January
- Chosen Frozen- We’ve got to give major kudos to Buckeye coach Tom Herman, who was stuck for 12 hours in the Atlanta Traffic crapstorm following their epic blizzard of about one inch or so of snow. Seriously, I guess the folks in the Snow Emergency Conference are in need of someone from the north to show them how to deal with the cold.
- RE: Crootin’- Last time we chatted, it was Demetrius Knox that had Buckeye Nation wringing their hands in worry of a last minute exodus from #TheDream14. That was addressed by Coach Meyer and Coach Johnson, and ‘Meech is fully locked and loaded once again. Now, though, we’ve got another offensive lineman who may be wavering, this time Illinois’ Jamarco Jones who is reconsidering his choice of Ohio State over the Spartans from East Lansing. Jones, who has several friends headed to Sparty in the fall, has his official “in home” from Dantonio and staff today, with Ohio State’s Warriner and Johnson following up tomorrow. Jeremy Birmingham at Eleven Warriors has the best overview of the situation, and it will definitely be worth watching… if Jones heads to East Lansing this weekend for his “official”, then I think the writing is on the wall.
- Four! More! Years? Well, if you’re not a fan of current Athletic Director Gene Smith, this won’t make you happy: It was announced today that he’s been promoted to Vice President and given a contract extension/raise. Hooray?
- Final Visit, Final Answer? Also of note this last weekend of “recruiting season 2014″ is that H-Back David Njoku will be in Columbus on an official visit, as will Michigan defensive lineman standout (and one time Wolverine “lock”) Malik McDowell. Again, Birm’s got the latest.
- Presidential News? Rumors on Tuesday began swirling (I think they started on Scout, but I saw it on twitter and other OSU boards) that The Ohio State University would soon be naming Michael Drake as their next President. Drake currently serves as the Chancellor at the University of California at Irvine, and is notable for his work with the health sciences within the UC system. Given the significance of Ohio State’s medical centers, that may be an important skill set to bring to the table. Even though he’s currently an Anteater, there’s hope that Mr. Drake can bring something else to Columbus with him…
- This Week In Silverman- Another great design from Ohio State’s master of visual excitement: Read More