Lurking, Waiting to be stepped on
Midweek review of all things Buckeye and from across college sports, including thoughts on the newest in controversial rule changes.
- Injury Update- According to coach Meyer, Jordan Hall is still not expected to be ready to participate this weekend, but was up and running on the treadmill earlier. Also a probably scratch- Sophomore Michael Bennett, who re-injured his groin in pregame of Saturday’s contest: the depth chart lists he and Nathan Williams behind J.T. Moore at end, although the depth that OSU has in the defensive front makes this less than troubling.
- Dark Knights? In his comments thus far, Coach Meyer was candid about his respect for Central Florida, calling them a team with a B1G type defense. He commented that they’ll be looking to establish the run significantly more than Miami did (Duh), particularly with a mobile quarterback. Central Florida announced today that their starting running back would miss the game in Columbus, but will most likely be replaced by a stellar transfer from ‘Da U and former Georgia prep star.
- Bitter much? Interesting moment from today’s B1G media conference was a phone call from the Orlando Sentinel’s Mike Bianchi, who called in to ask if Meyer thought that Gator fans would be pulling for the Knights out of anger that Meyer left the University of Florida. Meyer’s response, which you can listen to here, was essentially that Bianchi’s “facts are, not surprisingly, incorrect.”. Given that Bianchi has been playing the part of scorned lover for the past six months, his actions are not really all that surprising. Oh, how times have changed.
- Coach ‘em up- Ohio State “added” a new member of the coaching staff this past week, as Kenny Guiton has been given the nickname “coach” by Ohio State’s head man. You’ve got to wonder what he could do with a whistle around his neck, given the circumstances.
- Luddites beware- We’ve talked before about the new Ohio State iPad program for all of its athletes: Yahoo! has a great article regarding the impact this is having for student athletes. Nice to have a Yahoo! story that doesn’t involve Charles Robinson for a change, amIrite? Oh, and John Simon is still breaking down film the way he always has- he stares at the footage until it relinquishes the information he requires. Read More