Thanks for popping by on a Wednesday morning, even if the news for today probably won’t be as exciting as it was seven days ago. Thanks, too, for your patience with the website this week… the people responsible for the tech glitches have been appropriately dealt with. Given our lead bullet point today, here’s your Wednesday Musical Distraction.
- Hey y’all… Watch This! It’s “pre-season watch list” time again, and the Ohio State squadron is pretty well represented as you might imagine. Braxton Miller returns to the Maxwell Award list for the best player in the nation, while tight end Jeff Heuerman finds himself on the Mackey Award list for the best player at that position. Wrapping up the offensive, Dontre Wilson is on the list for the Paul Hornung award, given to the most versatile player in the country. A pair of Buckeyes anchor the Bednarik Award watch list for the best defender in America- that both Joey Bosa and Michael Bennett are on there says quite a bit about the state of the Buckeye front. UPDATE: You can add our favorite Aussie punter to the “list list”, as he’s a candidate for the Lou Groza award. Hopefully he’ll get zero chances to earn it this year.
- Getting Freaky- Bosa’s on there due to his excellent play as a first year student, but he made another list due to his amazing athletic ability.
- Redemption- We talked a few weeks ago about how Buckeye fans should respond when there favorite players end up on their least favorite pro franchises, and used Ryan Shazier’s tenure with the Steelers as a prime example. If you needed another reason to pull for Mr. Shazier, how about the fact that he’s taking the roster spot and jersey number of a former Wolverine who’s not real excited about those turn of events?
- Cost Of Attendance, Yay! So sayeth our favorite athletic director… who also highlights my passion that student athletes should be allowed to complete at least one degree if they’ve been a part of revenue production for the University.
- I Demand A Recount- Ohio Stadium finished second to LSU’s “Death Valley” in a recent survey… which was supposed to assess “Best Stadium”, but seemed to be more about “Best Gameday Experience”, given the parameters outlined by the Athlon staff. Speaking of surveys, this one is total crap.
- Wanna’ See For Yourself? Single game tickets go on sale on Thursday… and my grandmother is convinced that those game tickets are sure to find that special someone someday.
- Let There Be Lights! If you get tix for one of the night games this season, you’ll get to enjoy the new luminescence. I’m glad this is finally happening; we can’t always rely on God to drop a beam of light onto his favorite team.
- A Bit Late- but happy anniversary to Coach Meyer and Shelley!
- Cover Your Opening- With
Oregon Nike doing their annual “It’s not creepy to fawn over high school kids, no not at all. Nope.” event in Beaverton this week, you can bet your bippy that the Buckeyes are well represented (and recruiting others to join the #Elite15). Even though yours truly has connections in Oregon, my schedule this year kept me from traveling north… so I’d strongly advise you to follow longtime Buckeye Brother Jeremy Birmingham, who’s on site and covering the gig for Eleven Warriors. From the sounds of it Hilliard, Cornell, and Tyler Green are all in the ears of Damien Harris (RB), Van Jefferson, Torrance Gibson, and Josh Sweat. Two or three of those fellers would be ice cream on top of the icing on the cake.
- As If That Weren’t Enough- Sounds like there’s at least one other Buckeye at the Opening preaching the gospel of Scarlet and Gray as well-